Stuffing 2 Js in a Soapbar and wired as Humcancelling possible?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by marcau, Dec 6, 2012.

1. marcau

marcau

Hey Guys,

After a minor router mishap, I am going to route my p/j? for a bigger pup (soap bar)... to make the look consistent i'd like to have pole pieces exposed.

(I am looking at the Bart BD shape or EMG 40.)

after much searching for an alternative, I am now considering stuffing 2 Jazz Bass pickups inside a soapbar shell and drilling holes to expose the pole pieces.

Has anyone tried this before?
    Is it possible to put 2 singles in there and wire them as hum canceling?

Woulda put 2 ultra jazzes in there but the covers on those dont come off... any suggestions for high output jazz pups that can keep up with the output of the P?

Im wide open to suggestions at this point. meaning not just the route im describing here but other strategies as well. parameters are the size of the rout and exposed pole pieces.

soundwise, something more articulate than the P. a bit more top end and detail. looking for better harmonics and clearer ghost notes ala jazz but not necessarily jazz... I already have a P/J, 2 Js and a P so I do have those sounds covered. looking for something different and interesting.

Oh and I run all passive.

Thanks in advance guys!
  2. line6man

line6man

Just make sure your pickups are RWRP.
  3. makaspar

makaspar

Doesn't Fender have pickups like that in the blacktop precision?
  4. marcau

marcau

Good Point. Thanks.

also curious about the fenders. couldn't find pics of the underside...

Can anyone confirm they are removable from the pickup shell?

Anyone know another source for soapbar shells other than mojotone?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

I would be concerned about the high output of two stock jazz pickups in the same case. There are several dual jazz designs out there including Delano, Aero, SGD, and Novak among others but those are purpose-built pickups, not just two j's crammed in a single case. As far as keeping up with your P-pickup, that's not as tall an order as one would think. Most pickup makers only overwind their jazz pickups by 10% for a P-J set. Personally, I think you could use a stock Nordstrand Big Single or Big Split and be very happy with the results. YMMV.
  7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    You can't fit two Jazz pickups in something like an EMG 35 or 40 case, but you can get one of those dual Jazz size pickups.

One issue is you need a reverse wound, reverse (magnetic) polarity pair. If you use a standard Jazz set, the neck pickup is narrower than the bridge.

Also, as testing1two said, if you used standard Jazz pickups, you would want to wire them in parallel, or they would sound very muddy in series.
  8. Modern Growl

Modern Growl Supporting Member

just buy a dual coil pickup. plenty of pickup builders make these.
  9. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
  10. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

I'd say if you already have a j, pj and a p then just get a legit soapbar. its going to sound different from the j. it won't be a huge jump but it will be a noticeable difference.