1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Stupid 1515/66/1 question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by vishuddha, Feb 1, 2013.

1. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

Well, guys, my tax return isn't quite what I thought it would be.

I have an LDS 1515/66/1 that is missing one of the 6s and both of the 15s. If I was only able to afford the 2 15s but not the other 6, what would happen if I tried to play it? Would it annihilate the 6 that is in there or would I just lose some treble output? Or would the "port" left by the missing speaker destroy my sound?

Obviously this would be a VERY temporary measure but I am itching to get gigging again and I've had the unloaded cab sitting in my room waiting for a few months now. I really want to get it playable. I'd have the money to buy the other 6 but I really need to put it towards getting my car fixed up.

I'd appreciate any answers or feedback!

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

You could seal off the missing 6 but the volume will be all wrong and the crossover will be all wrong so it won't be sounding like it's supposed to. And you'd have to listen for the remaining 6 not keeping up. Skip espresso, pizza and beers for another month?

3. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    If you have an active crossover externally, you could adjust things appropriately, you get half mac power handling, but that should be so loud with that rig anyway.

4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

How finicky is the 6 to chamber volume?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    What 6" driver are the mid chamber and crossover designed for?
    Some 6" drivers can keep up adequately on their own, depending on your taste.
    Definitely seal off the the baffle opening for the missing driver.
    Your crossover will be way off it's design points (and maybe the chamber volume), but maybe still suit your tastes.

7. rpsands

rpsands

NO. DO not do this. The midrange xover is designed to see a 4 ohm load, not an 8 ohm load. The results would be unpredictable.

8. Foz

Foz

9. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

Thanks everyone for the answers! Looks like I'll be waiting a little bit longer... should only be a few weeks... longest few weeks of my life. Hahah.

I appreciate the feedback! You potentially saved me a lot of money...