1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Stupid deal on a Mesa 810. Should I go for it?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Soppy Hat, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Soppy Hat

Soppy Hat

Hey guys, I'm currently planning on purchasing my first cab, and I've found a Mesa 810 in decent condition (cosmetically, a tad rough) for around $350.

A few obstacles though:

At the moment I have no car (black mold claimed the last one :bawl:) so when I gig, I usually depend on a friend to get me there.

An 810 seems like it would be a bit much for the smaller types of gigs I play- school gigs and medium venues, with hopefully a consistent outdoor venue coming soon. ~170 pounds is a LOT of cab to carry. Is it still worth it?

I feel like a 410 would easily cut it for me, but even though an 810 is almost definitely too much (I'd be running max 400 watts through it), I've also heard that Mesas are the stuff, and it seems like a great price.

What would you guys do? D:

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

By the Mesa, a car and a bigger amp.

3. LowBSix

LowBSix

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    Buy the 810 sell it for $600
    Buy a 410 or 212 or 2 210s and 2 112s
    If you need a bigger amp get one.
    Transportation is a must.

Create the life you want.

4. Plays_For_Dog

Plays_For_Dog

If you're having reservations about it, don't get it. Sure, it's a good cab, but why waste your money on something you don't need, or is overkill? Plus, it will be a huge burden to haul when you're having to bum a ride.

As far as if the $350 for the cab is a good deal or not?..... Well, you're going to have to get a supporting membership before we can give advice in price. Forum rules.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. I_LIEK_BASE

I_LIEK_BASE

pretty much hit the nail on the head here

7. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    When I see an crazy deal, I flip it at what's still a very fair price and pad my pockets a little bit. I wouldn't buy a Mesa 810 unless I owned a big SUV or a van no matter how awesome it might sound. I learned my lesson with a Genz Benz 610T XB2 that wouldn't fit through the door openings of my Accord when I bought the car. And then I bought a Kustom 118B that can't fit in my car either. :ninja:

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

If the cab is in good shape, it's a GREAT price. But only you can make a judgment regarding its practicality, given your circumstances. :eyebrow:

This is TalkBass. Not LifeCoach. :smug:

MM

9. Soppy Hat

Soppy Hat

Turns out the cab already sold. Decision made for me. D:
    Guess I'm not going to go out for an 810 after all.

Thanks for your insight, guys. Sage advice. :)