Stupid injuries: TB tales of caution and woe

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bloodhammer, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Ever cut yourself deep enough for blood to spray from the wound? Fuuuuuuun times. :scowl: The bathroom looked like I slaughtered an animal in it before I cleaned it up.

So I was about to make myself a meatloaf sandwich around midnight last night when I realized I didn't have a clean knife to cut a slice. No big deal. I grabbed the 7" santoku knife that was lying on the cutting board. This is when the stupid took over. I don't know how it happened, so I'll chalk it up to user error.

I've always washed knives by folding the sponge in half and running it down both sides of the blade at the same time from the back. You know, so I don't cut my hand. Well, as I was wiping the blade, I somehow managed to pull back my right hand into the ******* edge and slice myself up rather than letting that hand keep going after passing the tip of the blade. I cut the tip of my middle finger, took a small chunk out of the inner knuckle of my thumb, and finally planted the blade deep into the pad of the same thumb. I finally got the bleeding to stop enough to clean the wound properly a few hours ago. Last night there was a needle-width spray of blood coming from the really bad cut on the tip of my thumb. I had to wrap it with an elastic bandage (the kind meant for sprains) because gauze and tape couldn't stop the blood. I feel like such a genius. :|

I still made my meatloaf sandwich (after a lengthy pause to treat myself) and enjoyed it anyway. I will not concede defeat! NEVER!

Please tell me your stories, so I don't feel so bad!

Oh yeah, I'll take pics when I think it won't start bleeding again.

Update: This doesn't look anywhere near as bad as it did yesterday morning. I guess I heal fast. Antibiotic ointment FTW

Attached Files:

2. shadowtippy

shadowtippy

I'll have to tell you about the time I set fire to myself. I won't have time to tell it for a couple of days. Sorry, no pics.

3. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I was 10-years-old and running around barefoot as I did all summer. I quicky climbed over chain link fence and vaulted over the top. On my way down I noticed I was headed right for some broken glass. I grabbed the top of the fence to stop my descent and ripped open the palm of my hand on the twisted wire on top.

[​IMG]

Blood was gushing out and I could see the meat inside of my hand. I ran home in a panic. When I hit my front door my older brother shouted "Don't come in here with that, you'll get blood on the carpet." I ran around the back door where my mom took one look at my hand and swooned. My brother wisely sent for Mrs. Gray up the street. She wrapped my hand and took me off to the doctor. Fourteen stitches later I was on my way home. When I got home I ate a whole box of Eskimo pies.
    At least I didn't cut me feet. :ninja:

I still have the scar.

Attached Files:

4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

It was a freezing cold day at Nassau community college. I was 18 or so. Frigid, deep cold. I had my hands in the front pocket of the hoody I was wearing. I got inside a building and started up the stairs to my class. I tripped, and made zero effort to stop my fall. My hands stayed in the hoodie and I landed pretty much on my glasses on the edge of a concrete step. Broke my nose and had shards of glass in my eyes. I sat on the steps and started hysterically laughing for a while before I came to my senses and called an ambulance. It was a 6:30 am class so no one was around. I sat there bleeding while I waited.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

One time, with alcohol involved, we decided to go into an abandoned house that was set to be razed for an apt building going up in place of it. I was into martial arts at the time, still am, and decided to side kick a glass window. My foot did not come back out the way I intended it to and got caught, cutting my Achilles heel in the process. My whole ankle went warm right away. My friends got me into a car and I had my hands cupped underneath my ankle and my hands were filling up and overflowing with blood that I was then throwing out of the window. I ended up with 18 stitches, and the doctor said I was VERY lucky I did not cut my Achilles tendon. Phew....

7. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Cut a finger so that it spewed with my heartbeat a couple of times before I put pressure on it for a few mins; no more spew. Wrapped it up, never went to the Dr. Didn't think I needed stitches in my drunken stupor and fortunately I was right.

8. Milk

Milk

I've cut myself bad doing the exact same thing (well drying a knife with a dish towel, not sponge) years ago. I meant to dry it on the dull side of course. And since that time, which was late teens, i've had a fear of cuts. Because i felt the whole of the blade go through my skin and flesh, and the feeling of it has kinda haunted me since.

I used to have dreams for years when i had to defend myself with a knife and i never could get around to actually stabbing the people attacking me, i remember once in a dream i did and i felt so...bad...i woke up feeling physically ill. Im not sure if i actually had to defend my life with a knife i could actually cut or stab someone... Everytime someone cuts themselves in a movie i have to look away (especially when they have it in close up...). I'm fine with like, sword slices, people getting their head cut, arms, whatever, but someone just cutting the skin of someone or themselves with a knife, i cant look and it all dates back to this injury.

Other stupid injuries...i might be the only person who's suffered both a heat and freeze burn on the same day. At home too. I had a stupid toaster oven with a metal top. The top would get burning hot when you used it of course. I rested my elbow upon it.... bad second degree burn.

THEN, later on in the day, i had this bar fridge, and the freezer was not separate, i mean, it was one of those old fridge type that's has the freezer in the same space as the fridge, and the freezer was metallic surface. These type of freezer always build a lot of frost around becaus eof condensation that you eventually have to break down. So anyway i've just washed my hands and i'm going to the freezer, i pull out what i need...then i decide to check under the freezer with my hand see if a lot of ice has built up, i didnt feel any ice, but i felt metal...and my wet fingers immediately stuck to it. I try to pull...wont work...that's when it stated burning, i'm there with my hand in the fridge yelling at my gf who's like what!?...she thinks i'm joking or something, what could possibly hurt me in the fridge? Eventually she got it, came and poured water over it so i coudl free my finger. The damage was done.

For the record, a freezer burn is a lot more painful. It kept me up that night it was so bad. Also, it took, no joke, like 5 months before i completely gained back feeling on the freeze burned part. It was one of my fretting fingers, on the tip, and i was worried i might never actually feel the string again.

9. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets, D'addario, Planet Waves
    About 12 years ago i was making some frozen Stouffer's Mac and Cheese after a hefty night of drinking.. I threw that bad boy in the microwave and sat there staring at it... The minutes slowly ticked by and, rather than waiting the obligatory minute for it to set once the alarm went off, i reached in and grabbed it! :eek: :rollno:

I proceeded to plunge my right thumb in the lava known as mac and cheese and just sat there for a second. :eyebrow: Once i realized the torture i was causing to my digit, i pulled free from the incendiary pile of cheese. I had to actually scrape off melted mac that was stuck to my thumb. My entire right thumb turned into a gnarly blister over the next few hours. Took 2 weeks to heal.

Alcohol + microwave mac = Pain. Lots of it.

10. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

...the worst thing I've ever done was staple my index finger on purpose when I was 6. I remember it vividly. I was conducting an expirement to see whether a stapler, when used on a finger, would shoot the staple through the skin or instantly fold underneath itself like it does when you staple "nothing." I ran to my mom who gave me this look of, "You gotta be the dumbest kid I've ever seen" :p

Another time I tried to hop slippery stones at the bottom of a waterfall in Redding. I planned out my jump extensively, and landed it just as I wanted to. Problem is I was wearing Vans. Slipped off the rock and broke off a toenail at the bottom of the little river.

11. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

I'm already feeling better. :D Well, my thumb doesn't. It might as well be broken for all the use I can get out of it. :(

I'm looking forward to the Richard Pryor story, ST.

One time, I was making a "waterpipe" out of a piece of 1-1/2" PVC in the back of the shop when I was 17. This wasn't necessarily the stupid part, although one might assume I was high at the time. I wasn't. Just stupid. While drilling a "carburetor" hole in the side, the 1/4" drill bit pulled itself through the new hole, through the other side of the pipe, and into my freakin' hand! I can't believe it didn't sever the flexor tendon for my left middle finger. It did make a rather grisly looking wound that healed into a weird "W" shape. The worst part was trying to continue my work day while pretending I didn't have a big drill hole in my palm.

12. aborgman

aborgman Supporting Member

At about 10 years old I was climbing over a chain link fence like that and fell forward, dragging the inside of my leg over the top.

1" deep, 6" long gash on the inside of my leg halfway between the knee and crotch.

13. Gorn Captain

I've done the same exact thing...but I kept it to myself.

14. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

15. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I don't know why I was expecting to read anything in this thread that wouldn't make my testes climb back up into my inguinal canals, and yet I clicked on it.:meh:

16. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Last January, I was doing some work outside my house. While closing the ladder, I slammed it shut on my right thumb.

Oh my lord did it hurt!

And it did not heal quickly. It took 6 months for it to completely heal. Over these 6 months, the thumb nail turned black, nail began to crack & separate. The dried blood beneath flaked off, only looking like dirt. Then the old nail eventually came off. Under the nail and the dried blood was the beginnings of a new nail, thinner than a sheet of paper. And that thumb 'nail' surface was extremely tender. The nail eventually thickened.

It's a good thing I'm a member of the Lone Wolf Club because I would not have been able to play any gigs or practice at all during that time.

To make this period worse, I had ordered a new, beautiful F Bass BN6. I was so worried I wouldn't get a chance to play it upon receipt. As it turned out, my thumb healed just about the time my shipment arrived.

17. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

Dumb injury - I was 14 or so, and we got rid of trash in a burn barrel out back behind the barn. There was some paint thinner and gasoline around, and I decided that it would be fun to put some of that in a can and light it up. So I put the gasoline and paint thinner in an old paint can and dropped a lit match into the liquid. That put out the match. So, I reached in with a lit match. The rest is predictable. It took a while for my arm hair and eyebrows to grow back, but that was the worst of my injuries. I got very lucky.

I also fell off of a fence while climbing over to see what was on the other side. There was a water spigot poking out of the ground, and I landed on it. My ribs hurt for the better part of a year after that one.

Another time, I was working in a cabinet shop and a pneumatic stapler double shot. The second staple shot itself into the end of my thumb. A 1" staple buried around your thumb bone is great for expressing every word you know really loudly. I pulled it right back out, which may or may not have been the right thing to do. It missed the bone, fortunately. The doctor just shook his head and gave me the nastiest Tetanus shot I ever had. That shot was worse than the staple.

Another good one - I crashed the motorcycle on some railroad tracks and landed on my shoulder. The top of my collar bone is still a little different, but it seems to have healed OK. I could actually move my shoulder again about the same time the parts came in to repair the crash damage. Did I learn anything? Yes - falling off hurts. Anything useful? Nope.

My head has lots of stitches in it from all kinds of things, but I never got stiches anywhere else. Probably should have. The only bones I know I broke are one thumb and a cheekbone. There are others that probably had some damage, but weren't bad enough to do anything about. Being hit in the head makes you dumb. Then you do more dumb things and get hit in the head more. It's karma.

18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

When I was 8, I had a kid's bike - the kind that the pedals always revolve on, no disconnect.

I had it upside down sitting on the seat and handlebars, and was twirling the pedals. The middle finger on my right hand got caught between the chain and sprocket.

Ouch. Considerably ouch.

The doc put things back together and that arm was in a sling for a while. I still remember mom driving me down to the doctor's office in her 1950 Studebaker convertible, while I held my hand out the passenger window to avoid getting blood all over the seats.

19. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Back in my Navy days.. (70s..) We snuck into the base pool one night.. We were all plasterd.. and I got the bright idea to get on the high dive.. so I am on the high dive jumping up ... and up.. and up... and when I decided it was time to actually dive.. I grossly miscalculated .. I didn't even land in the deep water.. I landed in about 4 feet of water.. totally screwing up my knee. With hindsight I was very lucky.. from the height I was jumping I could have landed in the 3 feet or even on the deck.. in which case I would have been much much worse off.. possibly killing myself or at the very least breaking several bones.. As it was I hypercompressed my knee and sprained an ankle.. My knee bothers me to this day..

Fast forward to Nov 7th of 2013 .. I am running late for rehearsal.. I pick up the guitarist.. and I go to the church.. the front door is locked because it is Thursday .. so I go to the school entrance.. no one is there.. so I turn around to go back to the front door and I am on the phone trying to get someone to come let me in.. Mind you .. I am rushing.. because I am late.. and I hate being late to rehearsals.. Well I have my bass on one shoulder in it's Mono bag.. and my head and B3 on the other shoulder in a back pack.. and my phone in my hand .. walking very fast back to the front door.. well I forgot about that step... I fell into the wall .. hitting the window ledge with my fretting hand/left shoulder and dislocating my pinky finder to the point where it was at @ a 60 degree angle up at the last digit.. I thought it was broken for sure.. I also fell on my right knee.. the problem knee ... and banged up my right hip as well.. I wound up getting 6 stitches in the finger to close the gash .. and my shoulder still hurts although it is slowly getting better.. I couldn't even raise my arm to tune my bass .. once I could play again which took about 2 weeks.. and I still have to tilt the bass down to tune it because that shoulder still gives me problems.. I pinched a nerve in it.. all this from tripping over a step.... I never knew the ground cold move so fast. The knee is back to normal.. for that knee.. and the hip is no longer sore... but my left pinky still has not returned to it's normal size and I still cannot move it as freely as the right one..

20. capnjim

capnjim

I was working installing drywall in a bathroom. The drywall just barely touched the vent stack. The owner, who was watching my every move, said he wanted a shim on the last stud so it wouldn't touch the vent stack. I tried to explain that the vent stack was just for air, and its no problem if the drywall touches it. Anyways, stupid me, kind of annoyed, went to rip a strip of plywood for the shim. I put it on my tailgate, when I was near the end of the rip, I reached back to grap the thin strip, as I reached back, my elbow lifted a tad and the saw kicked back.
    But, I do like to look at the positive.....I'm probably one of the top five best three fingered bass players on TB!!!
    It happened in 2002 and the thing I remember most is the sound....there is no sound in the world like the meaty splattt of a circular saw ripping a finger off. It didn't cut it off..it basically tore it off.

[​IMG]

21. Gorn Captain