Stupid Mesa carbine question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bjazzman, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman Supporting Member

Just wondering if I can record with just using the head and not having it plugged into a cab. I'm thinking this is fine but wanted to double check

Thanks!
  2. og61pbass

og61pbass

No such thing as stupid questions here on TB..:)
  3. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

I'm not a tech person so this may not be the definitive answer. You may want to wait till someone with more technical experience comes in . Off hand , I would say no , don't do it. Amps are meant to be run with a load on them I.E. a set of speakers hooked up to them. This gives an ohm load at the output. I don't know if a recorder has much or any load to it. Running an amp with less than the ohm load it was designed for can overheat the amp. If the recording device has an ohm load to it , you might want to add the load amount ( in ohms) to your post.If you don't know or can't figure out how many ohms the recording device has while recording , you will probably be better off to err on the side of caution and not do it. Look on the back of the amp where the speakers plug in . The minimum ohm load is almost always listed there.
  4. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

It's solid state, not tubes, you're fine. I'd ask Mesa instead of asking here, just to make sure though. What the *&# do I know?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bjazzman

Bjazzman Supporting Member

It only has 1 tube in it but its not in the power section if I recall correctly
  7. CrunchyFrog

CrunchyFrog

From the manual for the Carbine M6:

WARNING: Always make certain proper load is connected before operating the amplifier. Failure to do so could pose a shock hazard and may result in damage to the amplifier.
  8. Itzayana

Itzayana

I have done this a number of times in studio. Direct to board with no speaker connected. No problem.
  9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Rule of thumb: If the amp does NOT have an output transformer it can be run into an open load, no cabinet.
  10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Union card-carrying liberal academic musician

Yes! I've done it. Sounds great. :D
  11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

That is just covering their butts. I don't know the amp but if it has 1 tube, it is most definitely not a power tube; it is probably just a vanity tube. I would imagine it is fine without a load, loads are only necessary for tube amps. One of the benefits of SS.