So I've wanted to switch to bass from guitar for quiet some time now. I searched craigslist for a while in hopes to find a good enough deal for me to jump on. Finally! A squier vintage modified jazz popped up for 150. The owner says the input jack is disconnected and that's the only problem. I went there that day to buy. I took off the control plate and found what looks like a mess of wiring and points that were no longer soldered. I have a background in automotive wiring so this doesn't bother me at all. I get it home and grab my soldering gun. The stupid this doesn't put out enough power to melt the solder on the pots. It just gets kinda tacky and won't hold anything. I just wanna plug in my new baby and play! Could the gun be at fault? Or maybe the original owner used the wrong solder?