1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Sub 300$ basses with thick/chunky neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillyRay, Oct 26, 2013.

1. BillyRay

BillyRay

I know there's a club for people with chunky neck basses and that some of the basses listed have chunky necks, but I'm looking for a backup to my japanese ATK for less than 300$. I could just buy another ATK, with its substantial and chunky neck, but I'd like something different, if possible.

Nut width is not an issue, but I'd prefer 1.625" and +. I like a deep C or U shape: anything thinner/flatter nowadays gives me cramps. I sold my 50's precision because the neck was too thin near the nut. The Freeman precision on that list is just Fender's mordern C shape and is not thick at all.

2. jlepre

jlepre

3. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

You might check out the Squier Mike Dirnt Sig. Personally, I've never handled one, but the Fender counterpart has a chunky neck.

Not sure if they have the same profile, though.

4. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

There ought to be a club for people who put the $ sign after the amount.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

In French the dollar sign comes after the amount.

7. BillyRay

BillyRay

I've never even noticed that the sign was before the amount in English before it was pointed out in this thread. Revelation !

The vm precision has the modern C-shape, no ? I tried one out years ago, so I don't accurately remember.

8. jlepre

jlepre

Hmmmm not sure. I just thought since it was Vintage Modified that it would have the old style neck. Anyone else?

9. BillyRay

BillyRay

Good idea ! Fender specs list it as thick C and satin. Not a big fan of the looks though.