1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Sub 300$ basses with thick/chunky neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillyRay, Oct 26, 2013.

1. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

I know there's a club for people with chunky neck basses and that some of the basses listed have chunky necks, but I'm looking for a backup to my japanese ATK for less than 300$. I could just buy another ATK, with its substantial and chunky neck, but I'd like something different, if possible.

Nut width is not an issue, but I'd prefer 1.625" and +. I like a deep C or U shape: anything thinner/flatter nowadays gives me cramps. I sold my 50's precision because the neck was too thin near the nut. The Freeman precision on that list is just Fender's mordern C shape and is not thick at all.
  2. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

3. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

You might check out the Squier Mike Dirnt Sig. Personally, I've never handled one, but the Fender counterpart has a chunky neck.

Not sure if they have the same profile, though.
  4. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

There ought to be a club for people who put the $ sign after the amount.
  5. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

In French the dollar sign comes after the amount.
  6. BillyRay

I've never even noticed that the sign was before the amount in English before it was pointed out in this thread. Revelation !

The vm precision has the modern C-shape, no ? I tried one out years ago, so I don't accurately remember.
  7. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Hmmmm not sure. I just thought since it was Vintage Modified that it would have the old style neck. Anyone else?
  8. BillyRay

Good idea ! Fender specs list it as thick C and satin. Not a big fan of the looks though.