Sub 5 sterling by musicman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JDLowEnd, Jan 28, 2013.

?

Sub5 sterling by musicman color choice?

1. Satin black/maple fretboard

58 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Satin walnut/rosewood fretboard

29 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd

I am seriously thinking of getting one. I have grown fond of 5's and 6's and am going to get rid of my mark hoppus sig jazz. I am curious if you would get the black with maple neck or walnut with rosewood??? Thoughts/opinions?
  2. mogpipe

mogpipe

Been enjoying my first maple board for about a month now. I think I definately prefer maple to rosewood. Own both.
  3. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd

I own basses with both necks, I think my motive may be purely cosmetic but I do not have experience with eb/sterling/sub basses with their hot output.
  4. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

Any good beer drinker knows... Black & Tan.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Some pictures will help:

Are these them?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great looking bass.
  7. jphovercraft

jphovercraft

Love me some maple ...
  8. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

iirc the black and maple is GC exclusive, the walnut satin is other retailers. May need to check the Sterling by MM SUB thread for verification.
  9. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd

Did Check and you are right about the GC exclusives. It's a toss up between this bass and the cort elrick jp5.
  10. RickRocks

RickRocks

If I end up getting one of these togo along with my SB14 I was going to go for the black and maple, but the first thing I was going to do is a red tort or red pearl pickgaurd. My sB14 is red and i put a black pearl pickguard on it. Looks so much better than stock.
    I still may get a SUB 5, but I'm honey mooning with my spector legend 5...
  11. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd

Yea I had a legend many years ago. I just don't know much about that cort elrick bass. Couldn't find enough info out there. I just figure for $300 it's a good deal. Getting the jp5 would include me trading my mark hoppus plus $100
  12. lixisoft

lixisoft

I have a SUB 5 Black and Maple and also a SUB 4 Walnut and Rosewood. Both are a GREAT deal for the money. The Walnut is more of dull flat satin stain while the black is a high gloss paint. The walnut has a very organic and worn kind of feel to it, I like it a lot, kind of feels like it has some age to it.
  13. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd

How is the weight. I have heard they are fairly light? Does it feel cheap like some of the musicman knockoffs (not olp or other sterling)
  14. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd

I have been impressed by the "black and tan". I just am debating about that jp5!
  15. dagovna659

dagovna659

Yes the sub ray5 is fairly light,but it doesn't feel cheap. I love the weight on mine(lighter than my 1997 stingray5) and you will love the tones you can get from it which are nice full bodied tones. very comparable to my original stingray5. I've gigged it many times stock no upgrades. Its amazing for the $$ considering I paid over $1400 for my original EBMMSR5. If you get a chance to try one you will be amazed also.
  16. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

Soooo tempted by these.

Any inherent neck dive?
  17. dagovna659

dagovna659

over a dozen gigs and i haven't experienced any neck dives.
  18. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

whats the deal with the hot output everybody seems to mention?
  19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Very high output from these basses. Not sure if it's the pickup or the preamp. May be a combination of both. I just know I can't turn the bass up all the way without clipping my amp. I'm planning to swap out the electronics anyway so I just deal with it. A good solid 1/4 turn gives me all the volume I need. SBMM posted a mod for this issue in the SBMM SUB mega thread. All it did was allow for better volume control.
  20. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

so if you don't boost anything its ok then?
  21. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

I did notice the clipping the amp problem when I played one at GC. mentioned it to an employee and he told me "it's active. all active basses will do that"

I waited til he walked away, adjusted some eq settings and was fine...

wonder if they have any plans to fix the problem in future runs? the bass sounds and plays great.