1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Sub bass comparison / alternative

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RobHouse, Mar 18, 2014.

1. RobHouse

RobHouse

Hey guys,
    I have a moog low pass filter which is a great pedal. I set the envelope and resonance to 0 and set the filter freq to about 250hz and it gets me an awesome sub bass sound. Problem is I have to set the drive high to get enough volume out of the pedal to be noticed , and when the pedal is bypassed the drive is still active. To get around this, I use a bypass looper. As you can imagine , this takes up a LOT of space on my pedal board. I was wondering is there another Smooth sounding sub bass pedal out there ? I know the meat box is great for sub's but from what I can hear ( YouTube vids which are all compressed to s#!t ) that the meatbox isn't as smooth. Any alternatives out there? Or am I wrong and the meatbox can be smooth? I'd
    Love to try a meatbox but the only way I could would be to commit and buy one ( I'd prefer not to incase it's not right fore )

Any input is appreciated !!!

2. fraublugher

fraublugher

Maybe the Subteranea by Iron Ether?

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    This is the classic use for a DOD FX25.

4. RobHouse

RobHouse

Is that for the filter side of things ? I'm not really after that just a low filter / sub sound

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RobHouse

RobHouse

That sounds far too dirty for what I need. That sounds like an octave down but what I manage with the moog is like a filter which is just lots of low end no actual octave shift if that makes sense

7. dalo320

dalo320 Supporting Member

I had similar issues with the volume of my Moog LPF and had it modded with true bypass and an output volume knob. The work was done by fxdoctor and I'm much happier with the pedal now.

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm not sure what you mean "for the filter side of things" but you want "just a low filter".

It is a resonant filter famous for its sub bass boom when you turn the sensitivity down.

9. eeyorebass

eeyorebass

10. RobHouse

RobHouse

Just listening on YouTube it sounds more like a synth pedal than a smooth subby low pass

11. RobHouse

RobHouse

This might be the answer! I wonder if there's a way to rip out the envelope section and just have the filter cutoff knob and an output level ... Hmmm

12. RobHouse

RobHouse

Possibly it then! Do you know of any clips of it being used like that ? Just had a search can't seem to find one :(

13. Blu bro

Blu bro

This is exactly what i use my Xerograph Dlx for. I crank the sesativity all the way off and move the freq where i get a feeling more than a sound. and this i put in a loop so it can fatten my whole sound at. Im pretty sure the Xerograph is loosly based off the Moog LPF. I could be wrong but i do know that these two pedals are pretty close to comparing apples and apples so to speak.

14. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

Iron Ether Xerograph all the way. Super smooth and really fat. It has plenty of gain, the frequency can be controlled with an expression pedal and has a seperate clean volume control. It is also small, quiet and runs on a standard 9 volt power supply. If you want envelope capabilities, go with the deluxe version and keep the sensitivity off when you want the sub bass.

15. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

I used a MXR BEF for the same exact reason. I turned the sensitivity all the way down so the filet never sweeps up. All other knobs were down as well, then add wet volume until it matches the bypasses signal.

16. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Turn the sensitivity all the way down, and the Range, which is sort of a combo control for filter sweep frequencies and resonance, around 11 to 12 o'clock for a bit of resonance, or it sounds too flat for my tastes.

Been using mine like this for over a year now, and it works pretty well, but there is a volume matching issue, so I like a clean boost after the FX-25 to make up some volume in some cases. Maybe you just need a clean boost pedal after your Moog?

I did just take my FX-25 off of my board recently as of late I've just been using the EQ on my bass and amp for reggae/dub tones, it stays a bit more punchy, while obviously not as subby.

17. RobHouse

RobHouse

I just found a decent vid of the Xerograph Standard. Seems to be exactly the thing I need for a smaller footprint. Bonus ! Cheers guys