sub bass harmonics....

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sayso, Jan 24, 2013.

1. sayso

sayso

Hello everyone,

I need some advice. I play keyboard bass in an electronic band. I want to get crazy low sub sounds in live settings. Ive heard that I can run a Direct out from my head to a powered sub to achieve this. Does this sound right? If so, any suggestions on an affordable sub? Thanks for your help.
  2. craig.p

craig.p

What frequency do you need to go down to, and how loud does it need to run?

Just fyi, "bass" and "loud" and "affordable" are rarely found together. You can probably add "reliable" and "transportable" to that list. But it all depends on what attributes you're looking for, and which ones you're willing to compromise on.
  3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 real subs are big, and if they're powered, expensive. You *can* run them from your amps line out/effects send/preamp out, so it is possible.
  4. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

On the other hand, if you are performing at a club, you should be able to depend on the club having heavy-duty subs to cover your ultra lows. All those sub lows onstage might just muddy things up.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. seamonkey

seamonkey

7. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

How much computer do you need to run it in real time without glitching latency?
  8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Any place deserving of that sort of firepower should have it installed. All the onstage lows will only muddy.
  9. seamonkey

seamonkey

You demo it, and make sure your system can handle it. Use low latency drivers. Do adjustments to your system if needed.

“I can’t begin to tell you how great it is to be able to use Renaissance Bass and MaxxBass in a live setting.”

Bodo Schulte

Or you can find hardware versions of it.
  10. ThisBass

ThisBass

Fortunately most of all folks don't know the lowest audible frequency of their cabs.

Ähm,

Unfortunately most of all folks don't know the lowest audible frequency of their cabs.
  11. seamonkey

seamonkey

You tune it. By your ear if you want.

Note also, Peavey and Crest DSP model amps ship with it.
    They are one of the best deals going in DSP enabled amplifiers.
  12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

My question was what PC hardware do you need to run it live?
  13. seamonkey

seamonkey

I have one of two systems that I take. One is a regular home built computer about the size of a book. It's several years old but runs windows 7. Then I have a HP laptop I take sometimes, it's just over a year old. Nothing heavy duty.

What do you want to run it on?
    You can check your system or any system in a store with a latency checker like one of these:
    http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon_using
    http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml
    Put them on a thumb driver to try computers out in stores with.
    Once you tune things like these pages recommend you'll be good to go with many software options.
  14. ThisBass

ThisBass

Latency is most of times due to reasons of suboptimal programming.

Or explained in other words,

if programming is suboptimal you need more cores.
  15. craig.p

craig.p

Or a good optimizing compiler! ;-)
  16. JHAz

JHAz

If people still had to program using punch cards (in prehistory I learned to program in FOrtran with 'em), programs would be a lot more efficient. And more expensive and less powerful,
  17. ThisBass

ThisBass

Fortran yes I know, that's a very long time ago.
    I myself learned "assembler" programming on Intel CPU just the same time.

But people (and programming engineers as well) do mistakes every time and every day.
  18. WingKL

WingKL

And suboptimal programming is caused by suboptimal programmers. The solution is to have good programers do the work and not let any of those suboptimal programmers be programmers. Good programmers make a hell of a lot fewer mistakes and can fix them easily if they do.
  19. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

there it is, plain to see!

that "sub-bass" that makes the sound so massive is really not "sub" at all, but the higher stuff, 60Hz and up.

something called "maxxbass", and it adds higher, not lower, frequencies.
  20. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

I occasionally use a dbx 120XP subharmonic synthesizer and it is truly amazing. It adds lower harmonics and the effect can be really cool. When used judiciously that is.
  21. ThisBass

ThisBass

Flash Player is a monstrous disaster, likewise Safari.

Some Development Tools for programming take a huge amount of computer performance but just do nothing, except waiting for some keyboard input. And I recall on a programming development tool which was completely useless under 2000/XP running on portable computers. Alternative we used UltraEdit.

Probably a lot of folks throw away their older computers because of weak performance on internet surfing.
    Most of times the reason for weak performance is Flash Player.
    Flash Player eats a lot of performance even on pics.
    Very often there are many Flash pics at one website, therefore beating a lot of performance.

I myself have got Flash deactivate by default (Opera settings), and therefore tons of advertisement deactivate, and therefore brilliant computer performance even on old fashioned machines.

There are other possibilities as well to improve performance on older machines.
    A very lot of Software Applications looks for Updates all along the line, Each of these Auto Updates takes a bit of performance. Some of these Auto Update Applications beat more performance then others, so probably the explicit programming is very different.

Opera runs very quick whereas Firefox is a lame dug.

Improved performance of a computer is not always a matter of CPU performance.
    Very often it is a matter of suboptimal programming of applications running on your machine.
    Throw away the things you don't really need helps to improve the performance.

But if you don't do nothing to settings you'll probably need a new machine year after year.