SUB Bass issues (music man)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chudhole, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Chudhole

Chudhole

Well, my musis man sub bass is now unplayable. At random when paying at stage volume it distorts and farts out on the E string. I've only had it for a few months and this distortion seems to be growing worse. I've lowered the pick up as far as I can. I'm sure its a problem with the pre amp.

I'm kind of bummed/pissed. This bass sounds amazing, and is a pleasure to play. But I can't have it farting out notes. I play a lot of fast 8th notes, so this random "distorted e burp" is not acceptable.

Money is tight, so I'm not really up for paying to have the electronics replaced on a less than six month old bass.

Now I'm back to my ibanez. In the end, my used $150 ibanez is more reliable than my music man. ***?

2. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Have you tried a new battery?

3. rhopper

rhopper

The battery would be my first guess. I know you said randomly, but some amp rigs at stage volume can start to fart out as the gig goes on as a result of the drivers getting hot.

4. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

if the battery doesn't fix it, try it into a different amp to rule out the amp. you can also try backing off on the bass boost on the instruments preamp(bass frequencies use up a LOT of headroom) if your amp has one, try the lower gain input on your amp head(my EBMM Sterling, would fart out the passive input on any GK head I'd plug it into). if all else fails, and it's a new bass, check the manufacturers policies on warranty service.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassfart

bassfart Gold Supporting Member

Battery. Running the preamp with everything dimed kills the battery faster.

7. 4stringfiend

4stringfiend

I would also recommend raising your middle and higher frequencies. When I get farting sometimes if I re EQ to give little bass and more cutting I get the clarity back. Do you play pick or fingers?

8. Chudhole

Chudhole

Guys..great responses.

The battery: I hadn't thought of that, though since its running otherwise it didn't occur to me..I will try a swap.

I ran my active ibanez into the exact same set up and had no issues. (Granted its preamp is nowhere near as hot).

I did try switching to the active input on the head, and taking my flange out of the chain, and I even tried messing with the eq (on the head and bass) because I thought I was crushing my 2x10 celestions.

9. jlepre

jlepre

10. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    also, don't run the bass knob on the sub more than about 2/3rds.. it puts out ALOT of lows and if you dig in you're gonna overdrive the preamp of your amp and get all farty!!

11. Bobster

Bobster

Definitely replace the battery first.

Also, with Music Man-type basses, start with all your controls in the center and work from there. Boost or cut slightly to get the sound you're looking for. For example, I normally run with my bass up a little, by mids flat and my treble cut slightly.

Typically when dropping the pickup, the side under the E and A will need be lower than the D, G side to get the output even.

Best of luck,

Bob

12. Waterpilot

Waterpilot

Battery was my first thought too.

13. jlepre

jlepre

Oh and let's get something clarified. This is NOT a MUSIC MAN.

14. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Disclosures:
    if its the us made Ernie ball version I would say it is.

15. Aznslappadabass

Aznslappadabass

I had the same issue with my SBMM, check the battery first

16. Chudhole

Chudhole

It looks like there's a one year. I'm going to call the shop and get my exact purchase date..good call. I just don't want them to replace the stock parts withthe stock parts..I'm pretty sure there's an issue with the pots or pre amp or both.

17. Bongolation

Bongolation

A six-month-old SLO SUB? Hardly. :rolleyes:

18. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Disclosures:
    well the original post only said he had it a few months, but not that it was new... could've been a "new to him" used sub... but yeah, the sbmm subs are not a "musicman" to me either.
    I see in his latest post its still a bass under warranty.

19. Durockrolly

Durockrolly

In this thread (starting with post 325) they address what I think is your issue. There is a solution a couple pages later.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/sterling-music-man-sub-ray4-ray5-871370/index33.html

20. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

more random thoughts:

pickup height adjustment needed?

overdriven gain stage somewhere in the chain? i.e., does it distort with the eq set flat?

21. Chudhole

Chudhole

I cranked it down (and at intervals tested) no dice.

I don't have an overdrive, there is gain on the amp head however I have very modest (like on a 4). Only one effect running, a flanger, and oddly enough, I have two of the same pedal. I suspected it at first, swapped in it's sister and it did the same thing. (I'm in love with the Ibanez CF7, it costs so little and does so much. So whenever I see 'em used for $20 or so I grab it.).

[​IMG]

In regards to the additional discussion about whether a Sterling Sub is a music man..

LINK TO SUB Basses USA