1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Sub bass

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 5StringThunder, Jan 24, 2013.

1. 5StringThunder

5StringThunder

I play in a prog/djent metal band. I would like to be able to get some super low sub bass. Not necessarily dubstep/house music sub but I want everyone to be able to feel the bass and to get the rafter shaking a little bit. I'm currently running ESP 5 string basses through a boss ODB-3 pedal, a boss NS-2, a fender rumble 350 head, Acoustic 410 and 115 cabs. I want to get this sub bass but still maintain the punchiness and attack. Should I be looking at adding a cab or maybe just an octave pedal?

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

I would be looking replacing both your cabs.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Boom Stick Bottom feeder is a pedal that will shake the roof.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

True sub bass would require seperate amps for the lows and highs, as well as real subwoofers, insteads of full range bass cabs, which both of your cabs are. You'd also need an enormous amount of power for the lows. Essentially, you're talking about a full PA system. Short of that, I agree with CL400P above, lose the 2 acoustic cabs, get a bigger, more powerful amp, and try out some Acme cabs, big ones. (hint- the SIZE of the actual spkr is less important than the overall design of the cab)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Be careful what you wish for. Feeling bass at 80hz is one thing, but feeling 40hz isn't very nice for very long. As mentioned, bass cabs are not subs, unless you go Fearful or BFM.

Suggest assembling a rig at a GC. Mini mixer, graphic eq, crossover, big 2000w powered sub and your head with single cab. Play about with the graphic to find the meat, probably 60 to 100Hz will spin your wheels much better than 30 to 60hz.

Octave pedal is a good way to blow up stuff.

7. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope Supporting Member

Here... 500w... Low B.. octave down on the multi-effects.

:bag:

[​IMG]

8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I've got half of the bottom cab. Same tuning and almost zero 30hz comes out of it. Try it with sine waves. You'll find it's the 2nd harmonic doing the business.

9. ThisBass

ThisBass

+1

A lot of folks can't accept (or believe or imagine) that underneath 45..50 Hz most of the time there is nothing else but zero.

Ähm of course it is possible to measure some SPL (or Pressure Level) at 35Hz at the ports but probably without tonal reinforcement.

10. ThisBass

ThisBass

Fourier Analysis tells that the information for the fundamental is still present in the envelope even when the fundamental itself is obsolete.

With other words, if the fundamental is obsolete then it is possible to (re)predict the fundamental by extant Harmonics.
    Humans ears are wonderful high performance calculators ....

11. 5StringThunder

5StringThunder

Is that a 410 and a 215? I also love the ESP.

12. 4StringShooter

4StringShooter Banned

Disclosures:
    GBX Member #1
    Too bad nobody can hear it, let alone feel it. Dreamer.

13. ThisBass

ThisBass

Probably most of all bass players all around the world are believing in hearing the Fundamental frequency.

14. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

not your job!

your stage sound needs to be no louder than the drums, and full and solid enough for you to hear comfortably.

the rafter-shaking is done by the PA.

you can send the PA a direct sound full of crazy sub-bass, but it usually gets filtered out below maybe 40Hz before it reaches the big speakers.

+1 to that lowest fundamental being mostly absent; the bass string itself mostly just gives you the first octave harmonic, so that "31Hz" 5-string low B is mostly putting out 60 some-odd Hz.

15. WildBill987

WildBill987

I went to see a buddy play at a pretty small venue. He plays a Pedulla 5 string thru an Eden 1000 watt amp w. 2 channels. One goes to a 2x10 with a tweeter, and the other goes to a plain 2x10 that functions as a sub. My beer bottle was dancing on the bar at times. Pretty awesome in that setting. I sat in a little later, and felt like my legs belonged to Gumby, standing in front of that rig. Not the cheapest setup, but it really worked that nite.