Sub Opportunity (Sort Of) - Advice Please

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jaywa, Jan 27, 2013.

1. jaywa

jaywa

The lead guitarist in my current band (along with other members of his former band) is being inducted into my state's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and as part of the ceremony they will be playing a 6-song set. Other bands are also being inducted at this event and will each be playing a short set as well.

The band's original bassist can't participate due to health issues, and the band has a couple of other former members who have said they could play bass for the gig (even though bass isn't their main instrument) but they live in other parts of the country so they couldn't do any rehearsals. So my LG asked if I would play bass for the rehearsals and in the meantime he's gonna try and get the BL to just use me for the actual gig as well... but no guarantees.

PROs

1) A (potentially) great chance to increase my network and get "exposure" as a bassist

2) Would help out my LG (who is also a pretty good friend of mine)

3) Rehearsal commitment wouldn't be extensive (2 sessions of 3 hrs each). Songs are all covers (most of which I've played before in other bands), so shouldn't be a lot of shedding time required.

4) Could be a nice high-profile gig (IF I get to play it); full P.A., lots of publicity, huge attendance by current and former area musicians, etc.

CONs

1) No guarantee I'll get to play the ceremony... may be rehearsal time spent for nothing.

2) No pay (for either rehearsals or the ceremony if I should play it).

3) LG says several of the members haven't played for a LONG time, and the only rehearsal we'll get with the full band would be a couple of nights before the show. If I play the set with them and it doesn't go well is it my reputation on the line?

Thoughts? I'm leaning towards doing it but wondering if there are any red flags I haven't thought of. Thanks in advance.

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I think it will be an honor to play congrats for even being thought of and I wouldn't worry about members not playing for some time they are being inducted for a reason they must have some chops and if you sound good people will know it's not you messing up.

3. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I wouldn't hesitate.

4. jaywa

jaywa

Yeah... the BL is also the drummer and I've found it never hurts to make a good impression on drummers.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

...of course you should.

7. Auguste

Auguste

Probably televised as well ? ? ?

Sounds good to me!

8. bluewine

bluewine Banned

If you are unknown and trying to get your foot in the door of your local scene it seems like a good idea.

Blue

9. jive1

jive1 Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    If you like the folks and the music, you have 2 out of 3 sides of the triangle of musical fulfilment. Go for it.

10. JakeF

JakeF

I feel you want to.

I feel your going to.

I feel we all agree and support this decision.

11. jaywa

jaywa

I told him I'd do it.

If I wind up getting bounced for the actual performance, maybe I can still at least get a comp ticket out of it or something.

Thanks for y'all's insights.

12. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

If you get bounced, make them feel bad enough to make it up to you with referrals, introductions, etc.

13. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

If it's all covers why can't their #1 bassist choice just do the gig? Six hours of rehearsal to play six covers? What's the sense of rehearsing if you don't do the gig? I'd pass unless I was told the gig was mine, too. I'll be damned if I'd be used as a rhythm machine so the band can rehearse with the bass they don't have. Just one guy's opinion, of course.

Wait till they tell you that you'll have to supply the other guy with a bass and amp.

14. jaywa

jaywa

The original members of this band are all around 60 yrs old if not older. (I'm 46 FWIW.) The original bassist is fighting cancer and doesn't live around here so he's not even gonna make the trip. It's a horn band and I guess one of the horn players and the keyboardist have said they can double on bass but the LG would rather they just stay on their main instruments, plus he doesn't know how long it's been since they even picked up a bass whereas I'm playing pretty much every weekend in one band or another.

15. xgator4u

xgator4u

I am confused as to why such a "fabulous and famous" band would not be willing to pay a hired gun to sub. Especially at such an important and high profile performance.

16. jaywa

jaywa

To clarify...

I haven't been told I WON'T get paid. But I haven't been told I will, either. So the assumption is this is a favor.

I haven't raised the issue and don't intend to. If they want to toss some coin my way that's great but I'm not going to count on it or demand it. Some of the original band members are flying in from out of state so they're already going pretty deep in-pocket just to be here.

Usually I'm pretty big on the bottom line but in this case, if I get to play a big stage with a lot of muso's in the audience and I get a free meal out of the deal, I'm good with it.

17. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

What Jive said. He pretty much summed up what I was gonna say, but he used a lot less words.

Do it!! (And keep it simple.)

18. SteveC

SteveC

I'd do it only if I was doing the gig. My time is worth something. I think I could deal with the no pay if I new I was getting all the exposure.

19. pklima

pklima

I guess it's not gonna kill you to play one free gig, but is it actually big? How many people were at last year's ceremony? I don't know how big state halls of fame really are, but I've played "international arts festivals" which were pretty lame and sparsely attended. So I'd check...

20. Muttleybass

Muttleybass

Heck, I'd do it.

You'd be doing your LG a favour for a gig of great exposure, probably a packed house... A bit of extra practice won't kill ya.

Money ain't everything.

21. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sure it is, that's why they call it money.:D