SUB STERLING RAY 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by majortoby, Sep 19, 2012.

1. majortoby

majortoby

My brothers, I just tried one:hyper: GOOD NEWS! It's a sub-$300 Stingray!! It gets even BETTER...it appears that despite what the Sterling site may have said, we (The United States) DO get the 4-string in Walnut finish! :bassist: So, yeah, it def. sounds like a ray, albeit, with the concessions you'd expect from an instrument in this price range. Basically, IMHO, it is to the standard ray what a Squier P is to an AmStandard P. The fat neck reminds me of a precision, but less "bat-like", if that makes sense. Also, I found the 2-band active EQ MUCH easier to dial in than the 3-band found on some models. I was a bit conservative with the 2-band, as I don't like the typical mid-shy sounds many pull from Stingrays. Clear and percussive are the two words that keep coming to mind. I believe it will make a good counter-point to my MIM J strung with chromes. I didn't get too much time with it, but I enjoyed it THOROUGHLY. I thought that it would be worth sharing with you guys, since these just arrived on US soil.

2. moten33

moten33

There is another (couple) thread on these. I picked up my Walnut Satin 4 from Musiciansfriend for $242 after coupon codes. For the price, it can't be beat. Great quality, good sound, looks impressive. All my musician friends have complimented it. Very happy with my purchase.

3. leegreenman

leegreenman

Where did you play one? I've always kinda liked Rays but not at the price point. For 300 bucks I may pull the trigger.

4. majortoby

majortoby

The other threads seemed dead to me. As opposed to necro-ing 8+ pages of "where is it, OMG I cant wait", it seemed appropriate to re-assess the topic from a new perspective. I must ask, did you also find it a touch mid-shy with the EQ knobs at center?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. majortoby

majortoby

Found it at my local GC. HOWEVER, I will be the first to point out that the Clearwater GC seems to MILES ahead of others. I've not seen one shred of the tomfoolery found at others.

7. leegreenman

leegreenman

Was at a NY GC yesterday. They haven't received any yet.

8. moten33

moten33

I am still playing around with the EQ but I would agree with you on the mid-shyness. I thought it was my practice amp which seems to be dying on me.

9. majortoby

majortoby

I WAS able to dial in the mids I desire with a slight bass boost/treble cut. Which, to my delight, only increased articulation without depriving me of that lovely "thump/clank" they do oh so well. :D I AM EXCITE

10. majortoby

majortoby

I'm just going to add that the neck is NOT quite the same as the MM Stingray. Seems a touch "shallower" for lack of a better term. Much more useful for my stumpy, sausage-like fingers.

11. jlepre

jlepre

FYI the Walnut Stain is a GC exclusive in the 4 string. The 5 string can be ordered from any Authorized dealer in the Walnut Stain,

12. majortoby

majortoby

I did not know that. Thank you for informing me. :)

13. majortoby

majortoby

Apparently, Talkbass doesnt share my enthusiasm for these basses. I should have just asked if Zon basses are worth the money :bag:

14. dralionux

dralionux

15. mcnach

mcnach

according to the specs the neck is slimmer than a Stingray, more like a Sterling or even a Jazz. I have not been able to try one yet, 'though