1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

SUB vs. OLP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DrVenkman, Feb 5, 2014.

1. DrVenkman

DrVenkman

I'm looking for an inexpensive Stingray knockoff, a five string. Top contenders now are an OLP or the new SBMM SUB series. I'm not concerned with the active/passive difference, I've got no problem swapping pickups or preamps. What I really want to know about is ergonomics and feel, particularly the neck.

I can likely find a SUB at a local GC to try out, but not an OLP for a side by side comparison, so look to your collective wisdom.

Neck-wise I'm a jazz bass guy, so I tend to favor slimmer necks and tighter string spacing, but I know measurements don't tell the whole story.

What say ye?

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

The neck on the sub is fantastic. Satin finish and very c-shaped (from what I remember, I owned one a while back and sold it). I've only played one or two OLP's and was never impressed.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

OLPs are back ?
    I really liked the first series of SUB and their duratex-like finish.

4. electracoyote

electracoyote

Not sure about the OLP, but the SUB is a slab body, no contours.

EDIT: Oops, I was referring to the first generation SUB's. Not sure about the recent release.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

I believe the OLP has the smaller neck fo the two I don't exactly remember. Both are nice instruments and the active pickups are a noticeable & significant difference. May I suggest buying one or both from the GC used site & returning the one you don't want. They have a 30-day return policy. Just ask if you can return to the store to avoid shipping costs. I'm certain you can.

7. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Nope- the new SUB line is a very similar level import line that EBMM brought back in house. Quality seems a bit better on the ones I have tried, but it's obvious they are lower end compared to the Sterling by EBMM line.

8. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

I don't recall the OLP having a narrow neck. The SBMM S.U.B has a narrow neck. I would say the quality is very similar but the neck on the S.U.B. feels better IMO.

9. T-birdfan

T-birdfan Supporting Member

I've owned both. OLP was heavy, neck was typical of a stingray, stock pickup was weak, once setup it played well but didn't knock me out. The SUB I owned was an SB 4, the sterling shaped body and neck made for Musicians Friend. Neck was really nice and fast, fit and finish was great. Pickup was really hot and a little hard to take, but for the money not bad at all, especially with all the usual coupons on the Internet.

10. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

Back when I was a band director, I had a student with a blue OLP stingray. The bass was just ok. I own 2 of the new SUBs and from what I remember, these are far superior to the OLP design.

11. TDCbass

TDCbass

I just bought a SUB Ray 4 and I'm liking it a lot. The neck is way thinner than my real stingray, almost an "A" shape to it. Frets need a little finishing, nothing a small file/fine sand paper won't take care of. Otherwise a great bass to tool around with. I bought it from GC to tune BEAD since I'm not a big 5 string fan. Don't know about OLP though.

12. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

My best friend has an OLP. It was a pretty unremarkable bass. I built an original type, two band MM EQ, wired the pickup in parallel, and put the EQ in.

Fantastic bass! The preamp turned it into a real player.

13. spaz21387

spaz21387

I have both. The olp neck is is fat like a p bass or a stingray. The body is slab almost no contours. Id have to say the sub is much better. Id recommend the sub.

14. DrVenkman

DrVenkman

Sounds like the consensus is the SUB!

15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I haven't seen many OLPs but the couple I have seen were total pieces of spit. I would describe their tone as anemic.

I have not seen a SUB but I hear good things, I would go with that if it was me.

16. NKBassman

NKBassman Nerd Supporting Member

I had an original SUB for a little while. Liked the bass overall, but didn't care much for the painted neck. The finish on the bass seemed practically indestructible, though.

17. GM60466

GM60466

GC just dumped some NOS OLP MM4s for cheap $$

18. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant Supporting Member

This is exactly my experience, although I own a 4-string OLP and a pre-EB StingRay. I upgraded the pickup and preamp in the OLP so now it sounds like a "real" StingRay, but I don't really like the neck compared to a "real" StingRay.

I have played the (relatively) new import Rays in a store, and their necks feel much more like a "real" StingRay.

I would not describe any of those necks as being remotely like a Fender Jazz. (For the record, I don't particularly like Jazz necks, either.)

Again, my comparisons are all between 4-string basses. And the usual disclaimers: IMHO, YMMV, etc.