1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Submarine thumb technique - any takers?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by topo morto, Sep 29, 2013.

1. topo morto

topo morto

Same as floating thumb, but shoving your thumb under the strings...

working for me sometimes when I need to keep very clean on the low strings when playing with really high-gain or tracking / synth effects...

2. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

Do you mean, slap-plucking with your thumb instead of using your regular slap-plucking fingers - index or middle, or ring fingers?

What would be the advantage of it?

3. topo morto

topo morto

I mean using my thumb as as a mute, but under the strings rather than over. seems to cut down a bit more on noise from fingers on the higher string following through onto the lower string...

Probably of very limited use but as I said, good with tracking effects when I tried!

4. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

I can't picture this.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. topo morto

topo morto

^ just stick your thumb under the strings!

7. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

i think hes talking about putting his thumb "under" the e & a strings during some fingerstyle playing as an anchor and to help with muting.

8. Kyle_S

Kyle_S

My left-hand thumb will frequently pop under the fretboard when I need to hit high notes on the E or A strings with my pinky, but my right-hand thumb stays on top of the strings to mute. I'll have to experiment.

9. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

I've noticed that I usually place/slightly push A string with the top center of my thumb, simultaneously muting E string with the left thumb side while playing in a higher register of D and G strings.
    Sticking my thumb under the strings slightly hinders my right hand movements, but I would say nothing wrong with that.

10. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Disclosures:
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Firstly, nothin wrong with what you are doing, it has been used as a technique for a long time, it comes from DB where the thumb slips under the fingerboard, so effectively behind the strings, but unable to dampen, it is an effective tool to have in some situations on both Electric and DB.

Secondly, you need a bass with a high neck to body height build so the action allows the thumb to go under and not give a restrictive high action, Westone Thunder 1 and 1A were good for it as i remember.

Point of note, if you have a bad earth in a venue and your rigs earth is not up to it, you will get the mother of all bangs if you touch your pick-up and another wired in source, like going to move a mike, so touching the mike and touching your pups could have fatal consequences.