SubT/POG question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Denver Max, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Denver Max

Denver Max

I'm considering picking up a Micro POG, but I've also got money set aside for a Subterranea whenever IE gets rolling again. I'm mostly looking for suboctave at the moment, so would the SubT make the POG redundant? Or is it a waste to use the SubT as a suboctave? I know it does more, but is it a pain to get it to pure octave sound and back to the synthy stuff between songs? does it track well? Is the sub sound fat or hollow on the SubT? The POG is going for a good price, so I'm pretty torn. Any advice would be much appreciated.
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

3. mattfong

mattfong

I find the sub tone of the POG pretty thin (and has anyone else experienced a tiny bit of latency if you take the dry signal out?), so if that's what you need I'd say get an analog octaver.
  4. Denver Max

Denver Max

Do you think it would still be thin with some big, bottom heavy fuzz? I'd mostly be using it to make big fuzzy riffs bigger. And actually, now that I think about it, I could definitely find places to use the up octave. I think I'm gonna get it.

Looking at vids of the SubT again, its not best for this particular application. I still definitely want it for synthy stuff, but its not as useful for the stuff I have written already.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Swift713

Swift713

The micro POG is great for fattening up your tone without changing it's basic quality. I'd put it before a fuzz or filter. It doesn't sound as interesting by itself as an analog octave but IME it performs spectacularly and is great for a more subtle thickening. The octave up sounds kinda artificial on its own and benefits from some kinda dirt or filter after.
  7. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Supporting Member

The MicroPog is great for an octave up with a phaser, filter or chorus(even a combination). I have a SubT on the way but I still plan on keeping my Epitome(Micropog, stereo mistress and holy grail reverb) on my board. I rarely use the octave down on the MicroPog but with a fuzz and filter is still sounds pretty good, not OC2 good but pretty good.
  8. Denver Max

Denver Max

Well, I decided to just go for it. I've wanted one for a while, and I know I can find a use for it. And at basically half price, it would be irresponsible of me not to get it :)
  9. mattfong

mattfong

Rad! it's definitely a killer pedal and one of my favourites but I have an OC2 on my board for the sub stuff. For me, the micropog is all about pads and ambient sounds. I dime all three knobs and use a volume pedal+delay+whatever else.

You'll dig it, I'm sure! And it's definitely cool in front of a fuzz.
  10. Denver Max

Denver Max

Yeah, my main project is aggressive but I play some post-rock/ambient kind of stuff with a buddy and this will go nicely with some chorus, fuzz, and delay/reverb.
  11. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident Supporting Member

Depends what you want to achieve really. I really like the octave UP of the POG, not so much the down one.