1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

subwoofer as part of bass rig

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Hawkbone, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Hawkbone

Hawkbone Supporting Member

hey all, just scored a Yorkville LS800P sub. What's the best way to use this as part of a bass rig? DI into a full range top and link from the top to the sub? If so, should the link go into the mono input on the sub?

Or, can I just use my existing amp and cab with DI out to the sub?

I expect it will be overkill but I have to give it a fair try before deciding for sure :). Plus it's a great way to check for loose plaster.

Thanks in advance for all help.

hawk

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I would get a Rolls sx21 to put in the effects loop of your amp. Send lows to the sub and highs back to the amp. Better would be a proper crossover with phase delay to guarantee coherence in the crossover.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

out front as a PA sub where it belongs ;)

it's just gonna wreck the onstage sound and interfere with the PA lows otherwise.

4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Definitely only for nonPA supported bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. walterw

yeah, but then it'll just swamp the lows from the drums and make a mess of the on stage sound.

any gig big enough for it not to wreck the mix will need to have enough PA to make it pointless.

sorry, it just doesn't have much application as a bass rig. use it on the PA where it belongs, one of these with a pair of K12s or something will make for a kick-butt bar/club system.

7. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Doesn't have to be cranking to make the regular rig sound fuller.

8. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Best thing would be to sell it and use the funds to buy gear designed for stage use.

9. walterw

true, and even just cracked open a little bit it would be fun for the bass player if not so much the rest of the band[​IMG]

it's just that the powered yorkie 800 is a pretty kick-ass sub, and would be best utilized out front where it belongs.

10. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Congrats on the score.

As walterw said, as the PA sub.

Nothing wrong with trying to get a sub work as a part of a MI rig, but unless Your tuning is very low and you don't want the drummer (and the audience ;)) to be able to enjoy a better sound, there's not many good reasons why one would want/need a subwoofer on stage.

I've used subs as a part of a MI rig for various reasons, heck my big rig is basically two EV TL505 "subs" run full range, but since I have the possibility to play on F# once again, I just go direct and let the PA do the work.

That way everybody wins :).

Regards
    Sam

11. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Beat me to it! I have enough problems with stage wash already. Stick it out front where it might actually do some good carrying bass and kick drum content.

Riis

12. Hawkbone

thanks guys, no intention to gig it, just want the easiest way to set it up for experimental use in the basement - my teenaged son has been messing around with low tunings a lot and I'm afraid he's going to start blowing drivers in my other cabs. If we bring it out of there it will certainly be part of the PA and not onstage :) Now that everyone else is awake and out of the house I'll just start experimenting with what I have on hand, see if I can get a decent sound from it.

13. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke Supporting Member

fx out to sub, use internal x-over and send highpass signal back to fx and power amp.

14. Nagrom

Nagrom

The best way to hook it up in your basement is to find a garage a couple blocks away and use it there.

15. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Supporting Member

Unless Yorkville changed the design, that sub does NOT have a built-in crossover. It has a low pass that only affect the frequencies the sub is processing. The link out is a full-range signal, so it would NOT in anyway impact was is coming back into the effects loop on the amp.

16. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

My main Rig consists of an Ev ELX 15p and an EV ZXA-1 12" sub. Its fairly light and I get compliments on the tone all the time. So I guess I'm a fan of subs.

17. Hawkbone

hehe, prize for funniest post!

I hooked it up with what I had on hand - line out from Shuttle 3.0 to powered wedge monitor, link from that to Mono in on sub. At 1/4 volume or so it sounded great! After that I think there were some funky sounds created by the waves bouncing around the room, or perhaps it was the mortar in the ceramic tiles above letting go :bassist:. Didn't get it past 1/2.

I like it and son does too, so think I'll get a crossover to split the signal. Perhaps a 3-way so we can drive the sub, bass amp and guitar tube amp, but a 2-way at least.

18. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future Gold Supporting Member

For the first time , you'll hear real lows with your bass monitoring :smug: You'll have a blast that's for sure.

Try that then a normal 4X10 or a 8X10. :bag:

The stuff sold as PA sounds really good for bass applications.

I use an active 12" sub and a top as part of my bass monitoring duties.

I only use the top on small and PA supported gigs and add the sub for reherals and no PA gigs.

I had an active 18" sub before my 12" , sound was amazing but it was too much :)

Out of your preamp to the sub and the output of the sub to the top.
    Adjust the rolloff frequency accordingly.

19. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Point taken. I guess I'm having difficulty discerning between a sub and a bass cabinet. Case in point: I have an Acme B-2 cab minus the tweeter and mid-range driver, just two 10" woofers that, in terms of low-end response, will blow the doors off any number of dedicated sub enclosures. I pair it with a conventional B-2 for a vertical 4 X 10.

Riis

20. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Might pay to get hpf for the sub itself, if he goes silly low tuning you might blow through the "invisible limiter", whatever the heck that is.

21. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

Your asking for BIG trouble briging a sub on stage dont waist your time.BAD IDEA