1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Suggest a bass for me please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pat5150, Jan 9, 2013.

1. pat5150

pat5150

I'm pretty new at this, trying to get the lay of the land as far as bass choices. I'm currently playing an SX precision bass with P-J pickups. I do like it a lot but it's not perfect and I'm on the hunt for something else. My main criteria are that it have a thinner or narrower neck (J basses feel more comfortable, not perfect but getting closer), have good balance (this sx seems to have serious neck dive), and have a lot of versatility in the tone department. Like I said I'm a new bassist (but been playing guitar for 14 years) and I'm trying to find "my tone." I like both the P and J pickup sounds. I got a chance to play one of the cheaper line of music man basses and liked that too. The local selection is pretty limited (best buy music dept...that's about it), but I'm out playing all the different ones I can, and playing my SX hours each day. Around $500 is my price point. Any and all of your thoughts and opinions, please let me know.
  2. Aznslappadabass

Aznslappadabass

You can easily pick up a used Sterling by Musicman Ray34 or SB14 for your price point. Other options can be a used Fender American Special (might be a slight stretch but doable), a Fender Aerodyne might work (I don't have any direct experience but others may know better), and Any of the Squier and some MiM Fender basses could work, specifically Squier Classic Vibe series (or some signatures if you want maple fretboards on a precision) and vintage modified series are well within your budget.

My personal preference may be the SBMMs or the Squier CV and MF signature Precisions as I have the most experience with those.
  3. PWRL

PWRL Supporting Member

I know that my Fender Jaguar Bass pretty much fits those criteria. They can be had used commonly for around the 5-600 range.
  4. el basso

el basso Supporting Member

another ridiculous deal going on at hello music dot com at the moment....

[​IMG]
  5. logans59

logans59

I have a Fender Aerodyne and I love it. Still has the P/J pickups so you have a lot of versatility. It has a Jazz neck that is very comfortable. Still some neck dive, but IME that is going to be an issue with every Fender you pick up because of the headstock and large tuners. You can probably get a used one for around $500 if you're patient

Hope that helps
  6. HobbyBassist

HobbyBassist

The Squier Classic View is a lot of bang for the buck. I have played one that my friend has lot. And it seems to play like butter. He had it set up, and it really plays great.
  7. Bobster

Bobster

Ibanez SR500?

It's definitely got a thinner neck profile.

Bob
  8. electracoyote

electracoyote

Fender makes the P Bass Special (passive) and the P Bass Special Deluxe (active). Both have a P and a J pickup and a Jazz neck. Can be had used at great prices, within your stated price point. Outstanding basses.

I have the active version. Versatile tone pallette.
  9. unclebass

unclebass

fender blacktop jazz bass. available online for $500. Jazz bass neck, dual precision pickups plays like precision with individual pickups, like jazz when both cranked up. no neck dive that I have noticed.
  10. Old Fart

Old Fart

Thinner neck? Ibanez' are thin. Or narrower nut? After playing my Ibanez, the Jazz neck feels like a bat. But, it has a narrower nut. Heck, in terms of feel, you don't pick a bass. The bass picks you.

Neck dive? This is why electric bass guitar bodies have an upper "horn." <wink>

Tone versatility? Active pickups should do plenty of versatility. I have an Ibanez that feels wonderful, has active pups with tons of tone adjustability. Light weight. Great, huh? Nope. I'm searching for tone. Not tone options. Tone.

My amp has enough tone knobs.