Suggest how to fill the gap on my board!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lebowsky, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident Supporting Member

Ok so here's the thing:

[​IMG]

So after a lot thinking, the Rat Tail is going to get the boot. As much as I love this pedal, it doesn't get use in the band in which I play this board. Dirt needs are filled perfectly by the sfx + BB & the PPB, as well as a Rusty Boy that's not on the picture. I'll keep the RT on the side, it's versatile and dirty enough to be the perfect standalone distortion I bring in a backpack.

So anyway, now I have 1 slot to fill. Restrictions are 9v, 100ma max, not bigger than the Rat Tail.

I don't really need modulation, between the AM, the TC and the 2 Boss I am quite fulfilled there. I don't really know what I want though, I was thinking something in the lines of a bitcrusher like the Heliotrope or the Frantabit? But if you guys got other ideas, or see something that's obviously missing, I'd love to hear it!

Only non-option is an envelope-filter, I hate them and their funky sounds :eek:
  2. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Analog octave down seems the most obvious choice.

FWIW the right EF doesn't have to sound funky. Many do, but when used right some just add huge speaker destroying fatness.
  3. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

I second that! O-to-the-C-to-the-2 (OC-2, that is...).
  4. Lebowsky

I tried many octave downs, and really wanted to like them, but never really got into it. Too muddy, not much use to it...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jungy

Jungy

I have the Octamizer and find no muddiness. My vote is to try one out again (if you know someone that you can borrow). I've also liked EBS octabass and MXR OD. Aguilar might be too big for your space.
  7. mouthmw

mouthmw Supporting Member

I never cared much for octavers I tried until I got OC2. No mud, awesome character, fat fat fat!
  8. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

not a fan of octavers and have your modulation needs met? how about a nice reverb: can REALLY fill some sound and a touch of reverb can fill in some edges (if that's your thing). Or even an expression pedal for the PS-3 to use a whammy? (i've done it before when I use to own one and it's fun times)
  9. Lebowsky

hey fabe! I can do reverb pretty ok with the DD-7 I think. as for the expression pedal for the PS-3.. well it's just not in the picture ;) But I use the PS-3 for two things: whammy and mode 7 :) I think the PS-3 indeed KILLS as a whammy! Just a bit annoying to find the right intervals on the knobs as they're quite sensitive.
  10. sillyfabe

i agree with the knobs being sensitive but what I did (and still do but with the EHX HOG) is I placed my tuner post and used it to tell me what interval I'm at. (i.e.: want to get a 5th/+1 sweep? set the lower at a 5th using your tuner and the topa t +1 and you're good to go!).

I use to own a DD-7 for a good minute and the "reverb" it can do is OK....if you don't use the DD-7 for its looping or extended delay time you COULD look into getting rid of the DD-7 and getting a Boss RV-3 (I own one). VERY versatile, has delay,reverb,delay+reverb. Has up to 2sec delay time, can do 100% wet and has trials as well.

Another idea for a pedal would be a digital octaver (i.e. microPOG) that way you have -1,+1 and direct without the "analog muddiness".

Or how about a nice bit crusher to make some fun mayhem? :bassist:
  11. Lebowsky

that's actually a pretty f***ing brilliant idea I had never thought of (seriously!!), I'm gonna change my cabling asap!

I used to have a micro POG on that board, but decided to remove it.. for the PS-3. It can do what the micro POG does pretty well I think, even though I never used it for that since I have it.

yes I'm leaning more and more towards a bit crusher.. any thoughts on the heliotrope?
  12. sillyfabe

I can see how the PS-3 is an upgrade (I went the PS-3, POG2, then PS-3 again, then another POG2 and have settled on my beast of a HOG)

I also owned a Heliotrope for a minute and really dug it's range as well as its overall tone. I moved on from that to a WMD Geiger Counter and it's AMAZING! But if you're looking for a good bitcrusher here is what I've tried and liked:

Heliotrope
    Malekko Bit
    (as mentioned) WMD Geiger Counter
    IE Frantabit

And I havent tried it but have heard highly in regards to Hexe Bitcrushers
  13. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Talk to Mark at Make Sounds Loudly Pedals and get a Lofi Looper/bit crusher thing made. It'll be small and cheap and you can get some cool am/fm sounds going PLUS you'll have a phrase sampler.
  14. Lebowsky

well I played some with a heliotrope but I must say I was quite underwhelmed. Too fuzzy and difficult to have some really crazy sounds
  15. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Heliotrope is one nutbar of a pedal.

Try a Prunes and Custard. Distortion overdrive fuzz with nonfunky modulation thrown in. You might think it should sound like Prunes and Cabbage but no!