Suggest me a self-teach method (Book or DVD)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BobChi, Dec 26, 2013.

1. BobChi

BobChi

Hey guys, I would love your recommendations on any ebooks or DVDs regarding self-teaching. I can't afford going to a bass teacher so I'm looking for a free option. I am completely new to bass guitar and music theory. I've downloaded a couple of books and DVDs but they seem a bit boring/inconsistent.

2. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    This is neither an ebook or DVD, but I did a series of 65 lessons for Eden Amplifiers that come with pdf files and mp3 playalongs here:
    http://www.eden-electronics.com/info/lessons/roy/
    Of course, there are many, many bass lessons on Youtube. I would check out these two channels:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/devinebass
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1CFAFDF04A579259
    Finally, although it's not free, you can check out my DVD course:
    www.teachmebassguitar.com
    Best of luck and keep practicing! :)

3. BobChi

BobChi

Online courses are also an option as long as they are gradually increasing and straightforward.

4. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Supporting Member

+1 on "Teach me Bass Guitar!" I'm working through it - really good stuff there.

Dan K.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BobChi

BobChi

As I said, I can't afford to spend a lot (if any) money so free stuff would be better.

Is Hal Leonard's Bass method any good? Anything of that sort?

7. fearceol

fearceol

Yes, that's a great book and is always recommended here on TB. Get all three volumes together in one spiral bound edition.

As a matter of interest, I'd be curious to know what books/DVD's you found to be boring and inconsistent.

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    It's certainly up to you to decide the depth to which you are willing to pursue your musical education. But if you want to do this and be at or near the small and pointy (and shrinking) top of the pyramid of folks who consistently make a living playing music they really love, you should stop looking at studying with a live human being as an "expense" and start looking at it as an investment. An investment in yourself.

9. BobChi

BobChi

Billy Sheehan - Basic Bass - the guy starts explaining something, than says "I don't know how this is called..." and this is when I stopped watching the video.

Dale Titus - Bass Basics - I mean, come on. Really? Am I going to be a part-time cowboy who happens to play bass Friday night at the local pub.

I forgot to mention that I am not looking (at least at this moment) at making money with music. It's simply for hobby. Does that mean that a non-professional (a musician that doesn't make a living by playing) should know less than a professional musician?

Please suggest me books or DVDs that are for the beginner. I think those will be the same no matter what your end goal is. Thanks!

10. BobChi

BobChi

Any suggestions? Thanks!

11. Fit4pain

Fit4pain Gold Supporting Member

Roy's teach me bass guitar is by for the best I have ever used. I can not say enough about it. I tried several free places, took lessons and bought several different dvd's. Save your money and just buy Roy's teach me bass guitar you will not regret it.

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Not that they should, but they often DO know less because they aren't willing to take the steps necessary to increase the depth of their knowledge. Do what you want, but a book or a DVD can only show you a concept in one way, EVERY time you look at it. A good teacher will be able to approach a concept from a bunch of different directions until they find one that works best for YOU.

That's how I started out, just trying to teach myself. Even when I was in college, or later at Berklee, what I did was play all the time, what did I need teachers for? It wasn't until I started beating my head against a wall I never knew was there; how do these bassists I'm hearing play with SO MUCH meaning? Why does what I play sound like gibberish? Having a great teacher is what helped me get to the point that I at least make sense when I play, even if it's not that Moment of True and Universal Poetic Beauty.

Trying to teach yourself isn't quite a waste of time, but it IS a lot of spinning your wheels, driving in directions that are dead ends, driving the long way round to get to someplace you could have gotten to a lot quicker if someone had been there to give you directions when you ran into detours and obstacles.

The investment I'm talking about isn't just monetary gain, it's about personal gain.

13. BobChi

BobChi

How do you recognize a good teacher? What should I be looking for if I were to use one?

Edit: I went to a guy that offers relatively cheap lessons (compared to the price others in the area charge). I like him. He is easy going, and the feedback about his teaching in the local music community is very positive. I think I'll stick with him and try to save money for lessons. Thanks for your suggestions. \

14. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

i was also recommended this course from a man that i trust and will be getting it shortly.

15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    A good standing in the music community is a pretty good start. But you want to look for someone who can give you a good background in the fundamentals of music, someone who doesn't entirely rely on exercise books written by someone else, that has a good pedagogical approach that presents material in a consistent and progressive fashion so that the new material builds from a foundation that you've solidly learned. A person who can present several different approaches to learning specific skill sets until they find the one that communicates best to you, specifically, rather than presenting the same information the same way to every student. The skill sets we need as musicians are all the same, but we all have different ways of learning and absorbing the material.

If someone wants to teach you style/styles, or wants to teach you songs or only works on reading exercises, if they jump around from subject to subject without you really presenting work that you've done, if they move from exercise to exercise without you being able to successfully execute an exercise in a variety of keys and tempos - it's these kind of things that would make me doubt the long term efficacy of them as a teacher.
    Laid back or strict, sure, it's a rapport. Ultimately, ALL of this is contingent on you and your level of commitment. You are the only one that can say "Yes, I'm willing to do the work, show me what I need to do." Or "No, I'm content with where I am and don't want to put the work in." YOU are the only one who can decide which of these equally valid choices is the right choice for you. But just like pretty much everything else in life, there aren't any shortcuts. You can't expect the results from one by choosing the path of the other.

16. BobChi

BobChi

Thanks! I'll see what this teacher has to offer. I feel optimistic about him. He seems to know his **** and he explains things with much ease.

17. GastonD

GastonD

Billy Sheehan's basic video is actually pretty good, although I too was bit irritated with his self-depreciating comments here and there. Still, the info is pretty solid, even if he has no command of "proper" terminology of everything.

18. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

Media:
    I couple Hal Leonard's "Music Reading for Bass" (which is an awesome book for learning arpeggios, scales, your fretboard and reading music) with Scott Devine's online lessons, which I think are the best things for bassists since bass was invented. If you dedicate yourself to really practicing properly with those two resources, I think you can really take your bass playing to new levels very quickly. Certainly, I've actually really enjoyed learning theory because of Scott, and the book I mentioned is a great resource for learning it.

As for boringness, always try and be musical with your playing. Get excited about stuff like managing to traverse your whole fretboard through using scales, or transcribing a whole song. Stay positive, and it is really very rewarding.

And also, break things up and make yourself do a full hour of practice on each one. jam for an hour, maybe take a break, do some scales for an hour, etc.

Good luck!

19. oboylebass

oboylebass

20. BobChi

BobChi

Thanks for your suggestions. I will see what I can find on the web and I WILL use a teacher. Hopefully I will progress enough to be able to jam with a drummer and guitarist.