1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Suggest songs for a beginner

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by MarshallNole, Mar 20, 2014.

1. MarshallNole

MarshallNole Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Been playing for 4 months. I was hoping to list some of my favorite bands below to see if anyone knows some good songs by these bands for someone who hasn't played long. I would appreciate your guys' input.

Favorite bands: Tool (too hard, I know), RHCP, A Perfect Circle, Chevelle, Korn, Alice in Chains, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Audioslave, Muse.

If anyone knows which songs from any of these groups would be a good confidence builder for a beginner I'd appreciate it.

EDIT: I already know Californication by RHCP, Nutshell and Would? by AiC, and Like a Stone by Audioslave.

2. cochise iam the highway and getaway car by audioslave are all pretyy easy

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh!

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA
    For Tool, try "Sober" from Undertow. Not difficult at all, plus it's fun to bang out chords in Drop-D ...

If you like Coldplay, try "Spies" from Parachutes. The hooky part wouldn't be the easiest to master right away, but it's way up front and easy to hear, plus it's just f-----g cool and so satisfying. If you can get through "Would?" you can get through "Spies," I think.

5. gregmon79

gregmon79 effectsaholic Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicagoland area
    Noooooooo! Dont suggest Sober hahahahahehehe ;):bag:

6. MarshallNole

Dec 1, 2013
    Can someone explain why everyone says Sober is easy?

I have trouble sweeping down and then up across the 4 strings and then doing the mutes.

7. ChopperDave

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Practice will get you there. Use a pick and don't overthink it.

Oh, and Greg? Shut up. :D

8. gregmon79

gregmon79 effectsaholic Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicagoland area
    Dave is right marshal. It'll come. I'll shut up now ;)

9. MarshallNole

Dec 1, 2013
    I cannot do Sober.

Not sure why. I am about ready to PAY for Skype lessons for this song. I don't know why I can't get this f-cking song.

10. Biohazurd

Biohazurd

Mar 12, 2013
    Denver, CO
    The Peppers:The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie.

11. Not on your list but Killing In The Name by Rage Against The Machine (basically Audioslave with a different singer) is a great track to play along to, it's not too hard plus it sounds killer with the drop D tuning.

12. ChopperDave

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA
  13. ChopperDave

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA
    "Down Rodeo" and "Mic Check" are solid picks, too.

14. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Man in a box is a good starter AIC song. Cool walking part during the bridge. Fun chorus.

I know it sounds fairly involved.....but if you put the time into it- you can get "soul to squeeze" by RHCP. Awesome song.....awesome bassline, and something you can play for someone and they'll go- " oh yeah! I love that song! " and actually know what song you're playing. It will help develop some finger stretches and your sense of groove.

15. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    Foo Fighters:....Hero is simple and fun...

16. MarshallNole

Dec 1, 2013
    I've watched that many times. It looks like he is constantly sweeping across the strings at the beginning but I am not hearing the notes match up every time he sweeps down and up.

17. ChopperDave

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA
    That's the trick: sweep up and down the whole time to keep the rhythm smooth; you just have to know when to make contact with the strings, and when to do so while muting (use your ears for that).

18. MarshallNole

Dec 1, 2013
    I started Man in the Box this weekend on Rocksmith. Great song. Not too difficult but I get tired playing it. Still can't do all the parts 100% but it is a lot of fun.

19. bassdude51

bassdude51

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Start out learning how to play.............Louie, Louie and then Wipe Out and then progress to intelligent stuff by................Tool, RHCP, A Perfect Circle, Chevelle, Korn, Alice in Chains, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Audioslave, Muse.

20. MarshallNole

Dec 1, 2013
    Unfortunately I can't do that. If I don't like the song I won't practice it.

Scales and techniques are all I practice outside of songs I like.

21. bassdude51

bassdude51

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    My sarcasm must have been a pop fly foul ball into left field.