Suggested Flats for My 65 P

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gecko 5, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member

I recently had my 65 P bass restored.
    Can anyone please recommend a flatwound string?

I tried a set of DR Legends (45-105)
    I did not really like them. They are the first flats I ever bought.
    So I don't have much experience with flats.

Does anyone make a bright sounding flat?

Its hard to explain....When I had the DR's..... Its like I could not hear the notes clearly. Does that make sense?

I've never looked in to string tension.
    Is this something I should consider on a 48 year old bass?
  2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Check out TI flats. They're expensive, but I hear good things.
  3. john m

john m Supporting Member

I use them, But they are NOT bright.

Get some chromes for maximum brightness.

I've got some used Rotosound flats if you want to try them without spending a lot of $$$. They're somewhere in between but VERY stiff. PM me.

If you can't find flats that are bright enough for you, try a ground string--1/4 round, 1/2 round.
  4. Gyver

Gyver

I prefer TI Jazz flats on my fretless P Bass. I have tried GHS precision flats and chromes, and I do like both of those strings on it, but I always go back to the TIs.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. shawshank72

shawshank72 Supporting Member

If you want a brighter flat
    Rotosound
    Chromes
    Fender
    Sadowsky
    Order a set to your taste in gauge.
    May i suggest www.bassstringsonline.com
    He was offering free shipping last time i ordered.
  7. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

I wouldnt put roto flats on an old fender neck, regardless of how stable it is. They are very very tense strings. And they do not maintain brightness anyway so wouldnt imo work well for you. Chromes are bright, but in the upper mid area, which to me doesnt bring out the best in a pbass. Labellas have a bright aspect to their tone, but are also extremely thumpy and deep. You might like that. TI flats are remarkable strings...loose tension, very easy on the fretting hand, and very mid-tone centric. But not a wide tone, meaning not a lot of deep lows nor highs. But they respond extremely well to eq at the amp, so you can add lows as needed. You absolutely will be heard in a mix with these strings, but they also have the ability to provide a solid foundation, when eq'd properly. And they have a richness of tone that I haven't found in any other flats. Well worth the high price imo, and will last decades unless you keep pulling them off and reinstalling them.
  8. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

The correct answer is Labellas.
  9. StevieMac

StevieMac

This!
  10. aproud1

aproud1 Lost time is not found again. Gold Supporting Member

There is something special about Pyramid Flats on a P bass. Though they are higher tension than some. I'd say medium high. The TI's while great strings, don't sound right to me on a P Bass. Personal opinion.

If it were my bass I'd install Labella white nylon tapes. They are veyr, very nice strings. I have heard great things about Labella flats but the white nylons seem perfect on my 5 string P and my fretless. Perfect tension, even sound, don't look weird.

Wish I had a 65 P.... :bassist:
  11. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz
    If you want bright, flats are the wrong choice. Round and warm is the what they will get with flats.

One thing to keep in mind with P-basses, especially if listen to them solo, without other instruments, you perceive might the sound as dark, inarticulate, middy, or even a little muddy.

Put that in context of a track or rhythm section and it sounds perfect. This has been my experience.

Record the session, practice, gig, you will be shocked at the difference between what you think it sounds like and what it actually sounds like. What seems too dark or or hard to hear, is absolutely perfect in context.

Anyone else find this?
  12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

13. Mikeee71

Mikeee71 Supporting Member

GHS flats on a P bass are the Beez Neez!
  14. Gecko 5

Thanks for all the input.

I was at a gear GTG this past Sunday. A guy had 3 G&L basses all with LaBella tape wounds. He buys them from Carvin.
    I was amazed at hot bright they are.

Second part of my question.....
    I have ALWAYS used .45-.105 on a 4 string.
    Should I look at changing this for flats, or does guage not matter?
    The guy with the G&L's was saying you generally go heavier with flats.
  15. R&B

R&B Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

+1 on LaBellas for '60s thump. The light gauge 760FL strings still sound huge; tension is a little lower than the thicker gauges. I find them a lot easier on my fingers than the medium gauge 760FS and a little less woody/dead.

Also totally dig Sadowsky flats and TI JF344. GHS Precision Flats are decent and inexpensive, but they get a little crust of corrosion that sticks to my fingers. TI flats do that at first, then it goes away. LaBellas and Sadowskys are as smooth as anything. Really a pleasure to play.

Never did dig Chromes at all.

+1 on Jason, a great TBer and super-fast shipper. He gives free advice too. :) Apply for TB VIP status to see the discount pricing. :bassist:
  16. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

It's all so subjective. I tried many Flats and ended up loving Steve Harris Rotosounds to death. Perfect for me in every way. My fingers are very callused after 30 years so I am immune to any roughness complaints. Even Rotosound Rounds feel pretty great to me(Just don't want to eat my frets up with them) The tension of Steve Harris Flats is perfect for me because My Attack is very heavy. TI's were way too floppy for me but others love them. Lots to consider, Attack, tone, feel etc.. But my vote is Steve Harris Flats 100%
  17. Gecko 5

I'm leaning towards the LaBellas.

What is the difference sound-wise to tapewounds?
  18. R&B

R&B Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

Limited experience with tapewounds here. Tried them early on, loved the slick feel, didn't dig the absence of interesting overtones and lack of sustain. To my ears, a lot of the Precision magic happens with the layered harmonics, slapback echoes, "growl," whatever you like to call it. I wasn't hearing that with tapes.

YMMV of course!
  19. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Pics or this is for nothing
  20. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

Definitely an ear of the beholder thing. I have a 65 c-neck that was on my '71 p/j for a long time and used rounds (and the frets show it.)

I have been using DA chromes on my SC Tele and love them. They are bright in a nice way, and I like the feel.

I have La Bella flats on my 71 fretless. Going from chromes or rounds they might seem dull at first, but they bring out the thump and on the fretless have a nice mwaah factor. They seem pretty low tension to me, but that's just my impression.

I used black tapes on my fretless for years and got a good sound but it was a long time ago and can't remember specifics.
  21. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Which tapewounds? Labellas? They'd be a tad brighter, just a tad.

I stink at describing tonal nuances, but I can't recommend the labella flats enough. Give them a shot, and if you're not crazy about them, sell them in the classifieds and you'll get about half your money back.