Suggested strings for Precision?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mborok, Feb 8, 2014.

1. mborok

mborok

I have a 2002 Precision, with original strings. Have been recording with it and am really bothered by the sound - it seems kind of farty and flabby. Is this most likely the pickups? Strings? Setup? Any suggestions welcome.

I had previously played a Precision that I liked - I think it was a 1950. Strings were RotoSound Swing Bass round wound. But was it the pickup or the strings? Hmm.

Thanks,

Mike
  2. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr Hack with nice gear. Supporting Member

Pickup probably. Swingbass are the anti farty, flabby strings. Personally, I favor the Solo Bass strings by Rotosound. They're pressurewound strings.
  3. mborok

mborok

You mean that swingbass are not farty and not flabby? Or not farty but yes flabby? And I think you're saying that replacing the strings may improve the sound somewhat but the basic problem is the pickups?
  4. duff84

duff84

i agree pickups might be wacky there. could need some soldering done. cheap fix. maybe the pickups are bit the dust, than replacing them would help. but for string suggestion as the thread goes, depending on style i find daddario exl nickels very versatile as well as daddario halfs for a more smooth less zingy mellow type tone.
  5. Andy D

Andy D

Wait, do you mean the strings are the original strings that were on the bass when it was new in 2002? If so, that's unquestionably your problem. Change your strings!
  6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Thst is the correct answer for rounds...but not if they're flats. Especially if they're the classic string for the P-bass, Labella Deep Talkin' flats. At 10-12 years they're in their prime!

First thing I'd do is install Labella Deep Talkin' flats, and evaluate 30-60 days after that. But (as they say) that's me.
  7. vince a

vince a

2002? Original strings? Sounds farty and flabby?

I bet it does!

Doesn't matter what strings you get . . .
  8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Go buy and install a fresh set of DR HiBeam stainless steel ML 45-100 or Fender 7240L nickel-plated steel 40-100 strings. Both sets are great on Fenders, and are of course round wound. Keep your old set in your case as spares.
  9. CreatveUsername

CreatveUsername

On my P, I love 2 kinds of string the best: DR Sunbeams and GHS Pressurewounds.
  10. GK Growl

GK Growl

Your profile doesn't say what kind of music you play. I only have experience with heavy rock on a P and have found that most stainless steel rounds work really well for that.