Suggestions for a 6 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by el murdoque, Jun 24, 2013.

1. el murdoque

el murdoque

As the title says, i'm on the lookout for a sixstring.
    I'm not entirely sure if i will convert from 5 to 6, so i want an instrument for cheap to spend some time with the 6th string and see wether it offers more than it takes.

The cons as i see them now are:
    -More weight
    -you have to 'play around' the C string all the time - when going from 4 to 5 strings, you can choose to ignore the H string and pretend to play 4 strings, that's not possible with a 6.
    -more cost & work when changing strings

The pros:
    -When walking the bass, you have one more string to expand your pattern without having to break it up and go higher.
    -same with chords, fills etc.

Now i know that i'll have to aim high enough to get a decent instrument because if i buy some crappy bass, i might not like it because of the instrument itself, not because of the 6th string.

The 'cheapest' bass i currently own is a Carvin LB75 and i'm aiming for something that can compete with the quality and playability of that. My main is a 5 string custom with 20mm stringspacing and i like that better than the stringspacing on the Carvin but i understand that when going from 5 to 6 the strings need to move a little closer for playability's sake.
    I'd like the neck to be thin and flat, and i'd like to have active electronics.

I'm good with a 20 year old instrument of no particular reputation as long as it's playable, sounds halfway decent and can be had for cheap.
  2. Sam_bass

Sam_bass

Since you're based in Germany, you should check out Maruszczyk Basses (public-peace.de).

I got 2 Frog 6-strings, 1 fretted with delano pickups and glockengang EQ and 1 fretless with passive electronics and bassculture pickups. The frog's neckprofile is rather flat and thin.
    They both are great basses and Adrian Maruszczyk is open to any suggestions you may have regarding custom options.

I believe the standard string spacing is 16mm, but both my frogs have got a string spacing of 18mm at the bridge.

My sister's boyfriend got a custom 6-string Jake by marusczcyk instruments and that's another great bass.

On a side note: you can always ignore the C-string as well, just as you can ignore the H string on a 5-string.
  3. el murdoque

el murdoque

nice basses, true.
    But i was asking for cheap suggestions.
    As i said, i'm willing to take 20 year old instruments full of dents.
    The Basses listed on the Website are well bexond €1000,- and
    there are no sixstrings listed - so i guess i'd have to have one custom built.

and no, you can not ignore the C-String like you can ignore the H-String - your fingers have to reach across one more string at all times.
  4. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Not sure about your budget, but try Ibanez :) They have excellent 6 string basses for about 1200 bucks :)

Take a look at the SR Premium 1206e or the BTB Premium 1406e :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Profania_bass

Profania_bass Profanity Fish. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    I was reading your post and thinking "What C sting?" Because if I went to 6 strings, I'd be aiming for the low F# :D

I don't think it'd be too hard to ignore the C, you'd probably get used to it within a few hours :)

Spector offer an affordable line called Legend. It's Korean made and everyone that has one swears by them, see if one's available where you are. They're not here but then the choice here is very limited.

Good luck!

http://www.spectorbass.com/Legend/index.html
  7. el murdoque

el murdoque

yeah, i've played 6 strings in the past and it was no problem.
    i'll just have to see that the 6th string will be used and if i will adapt my playing style.
    There's no sense in playing a 6 string bass when you do not use the 6th string at all.
  8. bassbenj

bassbenj

Exactly. Which is why I've got 6ers and I've also got 5ers. When I don't need the upper range I usually won't bother with a 6 string. Also some of my favorite basses don't come in 6 string (G&L L2500 or Carvin AC50)

But on the other side of the coin my Modulus 6 has by far the best tone of any of my basses and hence sometimes I play it for that reason even if the 6th string isn't used. Better to have it and not use it than need it and not have it.
  9. el murdoque

el murdoque

...but to steer back on topic, which was not about the difference between 4, 5 and 6 strings, but the fact that i'm looking for suggestions for the cheapest decent sixstring available.
    I recently played a peavey grind 6. i liked the 4 and 5 a lot and was amazed about the really low price for these, but on the six the fingerboard was a tiny bit too narrow for my taste. The Grind 6 is available new around €500,- so the used ones should come even cheaper. Something of similar playabilty would get my interest, if the neck is a little wider.
  10. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm interested too in a budget 6 string. But till now the only good 6 string i liked, on a budget, was an yamaha trb1006. I think it has the best feel and sound at that pricerange. If price wasn't a problem I'd go for an Adamovic Halo without thnik about it twice. ...and I think I'll wait to get the Adamovic:D