1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Suggestions for a double bass Newbie

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by betavision, Sep 25, 2013.

1. betavision

betavision Supporting Member

Hi,
    Looking to make the leap into the world of Double Bass.
    I've been playing electric for quite some time.

I live in Canada, and on Vancouver Island, so the search for a decent first double bass is going to be difficult right from the "get go."

http://comoxvalley.en.craigslist.ca/msg/4022964449.html

here's a bass I found, the listing says it's a 1950's czech bass.

any tips?

Thanks
  2. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

If that bass is carved is a good deal...TIPs do as much research as you can (know the Difference bet Fully Carve, Hybrid or Plywood also Flat back and Round back), try to bring a friend that knows about basses when you are going to see this bass...

and be ready in this forum they will refer you on Auto-pilot to the Newbie link and to a teacher :hyper:
  3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

Well, I don't refer on "autopilot." I do it deliberately and thoughtfully. A bunch of us took our time to provide a comprehensive resource to newbies. It beats answering common questions over and over again and it's an efficient route to a comprehensive amount of information.

By the way, the bass in the ad is not carved. It says "ply" right in the description.

So, betavision, first of all, welcome! I suggest that you start right HERE.

Then, look more generally here.

Grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and read up. Then, c'mon back with specific questions. We're here to help. :)
  4. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

It says right in the ad that the bass is plywood.

beta, talk to TB member Jake deVilliers before you do anything; he's in Vancouver, a fine luthier and a nice guy to boot.
  5. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

Lol don't get upset i know is the right thing to do cheers
  6. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

Not upset at all. Some people (not you) seem to think we just have a knee-jerk response and send newbies to the wiki. I didn't want to give them ammunition. All good. :)
  7. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

+1
  8. TroyK

TroyK Supporting Member

+1, just don't get started on the Canucks with him, unless you've got some spare time. :)

"The Bass Spa" if you can't find him otherwise. And if you still can't find him, PM me and I'll put you in touch.

He probably knows the bass you're looking at, but either way could assess it for you and bring it to life and keep it healthy if you do buy it.
  9. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Ain't it the truth...
  10. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/The Bass Spa, String Repairman/L & M Vancouver
    Heyheyhey - cut that out, fellas! You can slag the Blue Jays all you want but be gentle with my Canuckleheads. :D
  11. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

I wouldn't dare.