Suggestions for an Ibby SR506?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Zelcova_X, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Zelcova_X

Zelcova_X

I've searched around for a couple hours now and haven't found a clear answer. I have found that I would prefer roundwound nickel strings, but I see mixed reviews about what brands. I have a 2006 Ibanez SR506, I play mostly rock and metal, and I play both finger-plucking and picking. Most of the songs (but not all) I learn are by Megadeth, so any that would help emulate Ellefson's sound would be great.

2. makanudo

makanudo

3. Zelcova_X

Zelcova_X

4. Paul New

Paul New

You will love stainless Rotosound Swing bass, the .035 to 0.130 set.

Caution: they eat frets, and go dead pretty quick, but for that brand of rock, anything else is a compromise.

D'Addario EXL170-6 are a good nickel-wound compromise. That's the set i have on mine.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

My advice : get somehing a bit heavier than a .130 for the low B to avoid floppyness. I prefer a .140 but it's something you have to like of course ;-)

7. Zelcova_X

Zelcova_X

Thanks for the advice, got some D'addario EXL165-6's that are .032-.135 and I'm loving that it took most if not all of the floppiness out. Especially on the B string, it used to vibrate so much I couldn't play it on the first fret. Stinking .128 lol. ;)

8. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Haha yeah .128 is a bit loose, so .135 is a better fit :) Glad you like them.

9. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Never had a fret issue with SS rotos, also they lose that initial brightness pretty quickly. But what remains is still a very nice and bright string. Usually you can make 1 pack last a month and a half-2 months.