1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Suggestions for an Ibby SR506?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Zelcova_X, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Zelcova_X

Zelcova_X

Jan 1, 2014
    I've searched around for a couple hours now and haven't found a clear answer. I have found that I would prefer roundwound nickel strings, but I see mixed reviews about what brands. I have a 2006 Ibanez SR506, I play mostly rock and metal, and I play both finger-plucking and picking. Most of the songs (but not all) I learn are by Megadeth, so any that would help emulate Ellefson's sound would be great.

2. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
  3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Zelcova_X

Zelcova_X

Jan 1, 2014
  5. You will love stainless Rotosound Swing bass, the .035 to 0.130 set.

Caution: they eat frets, and go dead pretty quick, but for that brand of rock, anything else is a compromise.

D'Addario EXL170-6 are a good nickel-wound compromise. That's the set i have on mine.

6. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

My advice : get somehing a bit heavier than a .130 for the low B to avoid floppyness. I prefer a .140 but it's something you have to like of course ;-)

7. Zelcova_X

Zelcova_X

Jan 1, 2014

Thanks for the advice, got some D'addario EXL165-6's that are .032-.135 and I'm loving that it took most if not all of the floppiness out. Especially on the B string, it used to vibrate so much I couldn't play it on the first fret. Stinking .128 lol. ;)

8. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Haha yeah .128 is a bit loose, so .135 is a better fit :) Glad you like them.

9. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Houston Tx
    Never had a fret issue with SS rotos, also they lose that initial brightness pretty quickly. But what remains is still a very nice and bright string. Usually you can make 1 pack last a month and a half-2 months.