1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Suggestions for Beginner?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BassGoblin, Dec 11, 2013.

1. BassGoblin

BassGoblin

I just ordered my first bass and I haven't planned on what to get for an amp yet. Suggestions for something reasonably cheap? The bass I ordered is an Ibanez SR1600E.

2. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. :hyper:

What's your budget? :p

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    It really depends on what you consider to be cheap. To some people $200 is cheap, to others it's a fortune. What is your budget?

4. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

get sumthing in yer budget, maybe used from the boards here. don't forget
    to put money away for lessons. money on lessons is more important than
    quality gear at this point. imho.

good luk and welcome, lots of good info, people, and players here

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassGoblin

BassGoblin

Right now my budget is going to be tighter than usual as I spent 1300 on the bass. After playing guitar for the past 15 years I can't 'enjoy' playing a less than quality instrument which is why I gunned for something nice. Sound is less important for me than how I feel while playing. If I'm playing something that feels like a toy, I'll appreciate it less than when I know I'm playing something quality. I'm only thinking 1-200 for an amp.

7. MontanaBassDude

MontanaBassDude

Maybe try a used stethoscope?

8. BassGoblin

BassGoblin

Thanks bass dude. You're a real big help.

9. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Suggestions for Beginner? Take up the Tuba you'll save many thousands during your life. :D

If I were you look for a used Ampeg BA112 or BA115, if you don't mind the weight and size an old Peavey TNT can be had cheap and these will sound decent and give a decent output for small jams when you are ready.

10. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    <$200 it really doesn't matter what you get, you'll be upgrading in the future. That said, older peavey gear can be had cheap, and will be good enough for now. You're definitely better off going used. Is there a Music Go Round near you? They always have practice amps dirt cheap.

11. MontanaBassDude

MontanaBassDude

Sorry, Goblin, but your sitch reminds me of the story of the kid who bought spent $4k on a set of 20" machined titanium alloy wheels, then put them on a 1968 Pinto because that's all the money he had left.

12. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets, D'addario, Planet Waves
    Well, maybe start with something used.. Ampeg makes great 1x15 combos that can be found for around $200 or less on the used market. If you are just looking for a bedroom amp, at least get something with a 12" speaker to enjoy some of what your bass will be capable of producing. Personally, i'd say find something in the 150-200 watt category if you can. You can find that for $200 sometimes. They are out there.

13. BassGoblin

BassGoblin

It's not that it's all I have left. It's all I'm willing to spend without being in a band playing bass.

14. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

It's probably easier for us to tell you what features to look for, rather than what to spend, anyway. I would say go for a combo, with a 12" or 15" speaker, and 100-150 watts or more. Note that you'll need more wattage in a bass amp than you're used to as a guitarist. Headphone and DI outputs come in handy. There are plenty of brands worth checking out, and my own recommendations would probably be Hartke, Warwick, and Ampeg for combos.

15. thekyle55

thekyle55

I disagree with these folks. You've been playing music for a while, so it isn't like you're clueless. You got a good, quality instrument that you won't feel the need to upgrade. I tell beginners all the time not to cheap out, and to get something that actually feels comfortable and they'll be much more likely to stay with it.

If you're buying new, Ampeg BA110, Fender Rumble 30, and Peavey MAX 110 are all in the $200 price range. All of them will work well for practice and learning, and even a little bit of jamming with others.

16. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I was going to say the exact same thing.. Only I was going to suggest something in the $200-300 range as opposed to the $100-200 range. Like a Rumble 75 or a Peavy Max 112.. If you decide to go under $200 that Peavy Max 110 is a great little amp. I played through one just last week and I was surprised at hoe much heft it had.. but I'd go the extra $$ and get the Max 112 because it has a DI and a bit more headroom.

17. rust_preacher

rust_preacher

If you play in a band, get a used Sansamp or other preamp and plug it in the band room PA, for the time being.

I think (despite what others have said) you put your money in the right place, if the bass you are buying speaks for you. Amps can come and go, unless you invest heavily on some vintage tube gear.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Welcome to TalkBass. Anyway, find a used SWR Workingman's 12 or 15 combo. I sold my WM12 for $150, so they're out there. Keep an eye on the ads here.

19. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

The stethoscope plan isn't so silly as it sounds. Try playing with your forehead resting on the upper horn bout. Sounds nice and bassy eh!

Neither a stethoscope nor a practice amp are any good the day you want to sit in at the local jam. Another vote for used warhorse combo, typically Peavey.

20. nasr20de

nasr20de

I'll be and oddball and say look for a new acoustic combo. They are inexpensive when new and you can find B200 combo left and right for a good price.

Also if you have any idea what style of music you want to play that will also help us help you

21. johnniesam7

johnniesam7

Look on craigslist ..you can find great deals there..I've seen a Swr redhead go for 350.00 dollars. Get a nice ampeg 115 or 210..great tone at a nice price.