1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Suggestions for developing a solo concept

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Richard Whitema, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Richard Whitema

Richard Whitema

Learn melodies to all songs and play them.
    Listen to all great players of melodies and emulate their feeling and timing. The swing era is full of them: Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman, Pres, Armstrong.
    Practice playing the melodies as if you were the lead alto in a sax section. Make it swing and have rhythmic vitality.
    Get someone to provide a Freddie Green-like accompaniment.

Most bassists can't flash out like a sax player so don't. Start with the melody and move on from there.
    Try to make your soloing a sound like a clean presentation of a "head".

AND/OR work on 5-note groupings, diminished patterns, extended techniques and pentatonics.
  2. Robert Sabin

Robert Sabin

3. tcl

tcl

Sounds like good advice to me. Only quibble is the Freddie Green acompaniment. I'd amend that to learn to solo against your mind's ear. Personally, I like a bass to sound like a bass for a solo. I do think that a bassist can come pretty close to an alto saxophonist's solo, but why? It's a bass! Play it like a bass and make it sound good, not like another instrument. I opt for melody over eighth notes unless that's what I hear in the moment.
  4. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Disclosures:
    AFM International Representative
  5. neal davis

neal davis

It also helps to be a great piano player with such a strong jazz vocabulary like Richard.