1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Suggestions for music room

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jandscotten, Dec 15, 2013.

1. jandscotten

jandscotten

Plugged in my new Markbass TA503. :hyper: played around on it for a bit. :hyper::hyper: practiced my arpeggios. :hyper::hyper::hyper: Walked out of our "music room" and wife stated if you're going to practice you have to take the pictures off the wall! They were all rattling. :bag:

The problem is that I was not playing loudly, nor do I care too. BUT the new amp is way more than the PF350 I was using. The room is also a problem. I have to be careful or the paintings on the other side of the wall aren't the only things that rattle. So I figured it's time to work on the music room. But I'm not sure where all to start. I figured some good heavy rugs to start with. I've heard hanging curtains on the wall just kills the highs. (my wife uses the room to practise her clarinet as well.)

Any suggestions. I've included a picture to let you know what I'm working with. OH and cost IS a factor! ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

Step 1 is to put a much bigger rug on the floor. Home Depot and Lowes have decent looking rugs for decent prices. Thicker is better to absorb some sound. Then put your amp on some kind of isolater to get it off the floor. If all else fails, cut up a foam cooler to put something resilient between it and the floor. The next step would be to put some upholstered furniture in there. A couch perhaps. Then use foam squares or some other kind of soft stuff on the walls to break up the sound.

You get the idea - more soft, irregular surfaces, fewer hard, planar surfaces. That room is all hard surfaces. It will act like the inside of a drum.
  3. bassteban

bassteban

Fill the room w/curvy, female music fans. Should your wife complain, put a bass in each fans hands and dub them students. Not enough basses? Buy more- win/win/win. :)
  4. bassteban

bassteban

And post some *after* pics
  5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Put little self adhesive felt buttons behind the pictures to cure the rattling. And in the words of my daughter's violin teacher when she saw my gear:

"Wow, a bass player with a music stand." ;)
  6. elgecko

elgecko

You need a stool!
  7. jandscotten

jandscotten

elgecko--got one.
    fdeck--actually the "one" music stand was the wife's till she made me get my own....
    Basstedan--to quote the wife...."If you can get 'em go for it" Of course I'd have better luck getting Santa's wife than a curvy young thing.
    Gaolee-- thanks, i was looking at the wall stuff (the carpet I've already got planned.) so it's better to use several pieces and not just cover the walls, correct?

Also I have that guitar stand that I could put the cab on. (Got rid of the guitar amp/Guitar for a PA system.) Would that work pretty much the same as putting the cab on foam an isolation box?
  8. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Decouple the cabs from the floor, take down the pics, hang a curtain and get a bigger rug. And play quieter. Not much else you can do unless you are willing to start building walls.
  9. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

The amp stand may or may not decouple the amp from the floor completely. It will certainly help. I don't think you need to worry about whether the walls are completely covered by one piece of sound batting or multiple pieces. Bass traps in the corners might help too. If you can do it, one other thing is to make the walls non-parallel. For example, put the wall covering materials out on a shim at one end and not at the other end. Also, don't point your amp directly at the wall, but angle it slightly so the sound bounces around more than it would otherwise.

The felt pads under pictures will work, but adhesive foam will work better. We use those out here a lot, since we live in earthquake country. They work to keep things from falling off of walls when the ground moves because you are cranked up just as well as when the ground moves for other reasons.
  10. Radio Face

Radio Face

The answer is simple, play softer.
  11. Webskipper

Webskipper Supporting Member

Foam Mattresses sectioned, could help isolate the amps from the wall and floor. Anything really will help.

Are you going to give lessons here?
  12. Webskipper

How did you finish the music room project?
  13. jandscotten

jandscotten

I didn't, life got in the way. However, I did get the cab up off the floor and at an angle in the corner that made a huge improvement. And backings on the wall hangings Made a huge difference.

My mother is a quilter, big time, and just sent home a bunch of new quilts and I'm thinking of getting some rods and hanging them as displays to soften up the walls, show off her quilts rather than stuff them in a closet at the same time.

I have no plans to teach but I would like to use the space to jam with friends who play, if I get any here in Waco. ;)
  14. Webskipper

Lol. Your Mom will be happy. Maybe she'll quilt you your favorite album.

Yep, putting the amp and theatre sub woofer on acoustic foam improved the sound.

Haven't had a neighbor complain. I'm in an apartment.
  15. halfjackson

halfjackson Supporting Member

Practice with headphones.
  16. Webskipper

Tried that. I keep it at movie volume and play early in the evening when others are probably at happy hour.
  17. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

That wood floor is going to transmit the lower frequencies that vibrate your wall joists and beams. That's the key conduit. I've got the same issue and found an Auralex pad to be pretty effective (also works well on cutting boom when playing on a hollow wooden stage). Turning down also helps. Frankly, your best solution is to use IEMs or good headphones and cut out all the vibrations that are common in a home music room. Standard house construction + nick nacks on the wall + complaining parents/SO/spouse will no longer be issues.
  18. Joedog

Joedog

Probably more than you want to get into, but blowing loose fill insulation into the wall cavities (works for floors and ceilings too) can make a big difference. I used to own an insulation company, and did several projects for sound proofing. It works! Sounds like you have it under control already! Just thought I'd throw out a "last resort".