1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Suggestions for new basses with a true neck/mudbucker pickup?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Timpala, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Timpala

Timpala Supporting Member

I am looking for a new bass that has a true neck pickup. Or, get that sound. I have been interested in the Guild Starfire (which has the pickup in the "sweet" spot") I want something that has the Rivoli bass tone. Any suggestions?
  2. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

Gibson Midtown might be a good option. I've really enjoyed mine so far. The SG basses also have a big humbucker right on the neck. They are short scale, but their Epiphone cousins are 34" scale, if you have a preference.
  3. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

Also, a Fender/Squier Tele bass might do the trick.
  4. Root 5

Root 5

Yamaha BB 714BS will do the trick. It's the more budget-friendly Billy Sheehan bass.

You can definitely get the "thud" and the mud with it if you so desire.

It's a nice instrument - I just wish it was offered in translucent finishes.
  5. CiceroProfundo

CiceroProfundo

I've a BB714BS and I've modded another bass by adding a dual blade humbucker at the neck. It might be worth doing this if you have a bass you like but want the sound of a neck pickup.
  6. Nobody

Nobody