Suggestions for new songs to learn please :)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Octaves, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Octaves

Octaves

Hi there,

I'd have to classify myself at a strong beginner level. Probably been playing for almost 2 years, but i work hard at it. I have built endurance, strength and some dexterity around the fretboard. Am still working on learning note names on upper part of fretboard, am able to read bass clef. I'm not a big slapper, but have been getting bored with what i've been playing.

Have been focusing on:

1. Lots of early Maroon 5 stuff
    2. Simple funk and soul, such as upside down, cissy strut, pick up the pieces, Funk #49, brick house, simple Jamiroquai lines, some simple blues and r&b.

Basically, i'm getting bored. I would like to be challenged with a new style or songs with interesting basslines, regardless of the genre. An example of this might be "Ramble on", by Led Zepplin. I am open to anything. Not really into the fast stuff, or constant pop / slapping though (although some slapping is good).

I've been learning Ramble On by Led Zepplin this morning. Any suggestions for pieces that are easy to learn, but interesting?

2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Blues or Jazz. Here is Autumn Leaves see what you can do with this ole standard.
    Those walk-downs or walk-ups add a bunch, i.e. on the four bars of the I cord - do three bars of the I chord and then walk up to the IV chord on the 4th bar. The 4th bar is your walk-up. Target the next root (see where it is) then miss it by 3 frets -- then walk to it one fret per beat and be on your next root for the chord change, i.e. E, F, F# and land on G.

The Blues or Jazz should give you something to work with. Blues is much easier. Your choice.

Have fun.

3. ckdhaven

ckdhaven

Ramble on isn't too difficult, fun to play, and obtainable for your mentioned skill level... Many of the John Paul Jones lines are fun to play for me because I am a huge Zep fan.. The bass really is a very strong (and quite under rated) in the Zep tunes.

If you like Zep, maybe look at playing "The Ocean" or take a huge leap into "The Lemon Song." These are awesome bass lines..