1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Suggestions for p/j set for squire ss jaguar

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by doublearon77, Jan 25, 2013.

1. doublearon77

doublearon77

Hi All,

Forgive me if the question has been asked a hundred times. I just bought a Squire SS Jaguar bass and was wanting to upgrade the pups. I like a vintage sound and would like the pickups to be more balanced together. I would love to hear your suggestions on what to get.

Thanks, Aaron

2. fjadams

fjadams

I put Lace Alumitones in one of mine. http://www.lacemusic.com/

If you want to upgrade the electronics look here. http://www.stellartone.com/ToneStylerBass.asp I have two of these in the one with the Alumitones.

They also have a dual tone pot that isn't a ToneStyler. It's called a DuoTone and is a tone pot with two pots on one switch. Not currently listed n their website but they have them and are about $20. I put one of these in my other Jag SS.

I'm sure there are less expensive options, and you should get many options. But this is what I have in mine.

3. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

I replaced mine with a DiMarzio DP-126 set.

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

For vintage tone at a reasonable price, I'd go Seymour Duncan SPB-1 split-coil, and DiMarzio Area J at the bridge. IMO you want a noiseless J to avoid single coil hum whenever you use that pickup. Don't worry about mixing pickup brands.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

A lot of people won't mix brands, but I've got a 335 guitar with a Duncan '59 in the neck position and a Di Marzio PAF in the bridge and it sounds great.

7. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore