Suggestions for someone moving from combo to head/cab setup

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by gr8bassplayer, Feb 25, 2013.

1. gr8bassplayer

gr8bassplayer

Hi all,
    I've been playing bass for about 5 years and am in high school. I would like to upgrade from my 50 watt Yamaha amp that's 20 years old. I would like to spend around $1000, but am defiantly willing to wait a while and save for a better setup, maybe up to $2500.

Thanks for your answers in advance.
  2. IPYF

IPYF

What are your objectives?
    ie. Loudness, portability, a certain tone?

Set some parameters here, otherwise most everyone here will probably pitch you every amp available under the sun.
  3. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

My suggestions...

don't buy a head. Buy a separate preamp and power amp. This allows you flexibility to change one or the other down the road if you want. Pre amps come in pedals and rack units. The advantage of this is you can get different sounds much cheaper. I love my tech 21 sans amp RBI for rock/metal stuff. But you can switch to say an EBS micro bass and go play in a funk band without having to spend all the extra money on separate heads. This also allows you to upgrade power amps later on If you want more power.

what would you use it for? If your not In a band and don't plan on playing shows and your amps gonna stay at home then how heavy/portable the equipment is might not matter to you. But if your going to be moving it all the time it's easier to move say 2 2X10 cabs instead of one hundred pound 4x10. Really big cabs like 8x10s normally have nice wheels but are tough to transport and cost wise you can buy say an ampeg 810 cheaper than a most top of the line 4x10s.
  4. superjesus

superjesus Supporting Member

Don't forget your speaker cable. ;)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    If I had to start over with what is currently available, I would go with an Ampeg PF-800 and a fEARless 115. Will handle just about any gig until you need a mega rig or PA support.
  7. modulusman

modulusman

what does PA support have to do with rig size?
  8. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Most people are not going to try play an outdoor stadium with out PA support for bass, but there are a lot of guys that play shows with out PA support for bass. That is usually due to the fact that only vocals are going through the PA. PA support varies from player to player. Some would prefer to have a rig that will carry most of the rooms they play.
  9. Foz

Foz

10. modulusman

modulusman

Ok but if you have PA support you can get by without a rig. Your post made it sound like you needed one.
  11. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    I think you missed a very important word in my first post.

Even with PA support I am going to need a rig on stage. I have yet to run across a monitor that does what I want, and in ears may work for some, but they dont have the feel of having a rig behind you. Monitors may work for some, but thats a personal preference.
  12. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd

Used is your friend
  13. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

Broadly I'd suggest a head that pushes at least 500 watts into 4 Ohms and a 212 or 410.
    There are many choices. I'd buy used.
  14. modulusman

modulusman

My band uses IEMs when we run sound. The last time we did a festival I had 2 EAW monitors just for me. When You figure the amps and processing involved there was probably 4 grand in monitors that I was using. So even though I had an amp onstage it wasn't needed.
  15. blastjv

blastjv

DAMN!!! If only I had $2500 to spend on gear when I was in high school...
  16. coyote1

coyote1

A couple of comments that relate to previous ones.

First off, any bass head with an effects loop can function as a power amp merely by inputting whatever preamp etc you want into the effects return. Given that some very good, very powerful bass amps can be had in great condition for cheap on the used market, IMO the"separate power amp" thing is not a good starting point. For example, I own a Hartke HA2000 and a SWR 4004. That's 200 and 400 watts respectively. Paid less than $200 for each, both in great condition.

Additionally, I got a Peavey 4x10 with horn used, in great shape, a couple years ago for $50.... and last month I got a near-new Ashdown 4x10 with horn for $100!!

You see where this is going. By being patient you can assemble an excellent rig for $500.00, which is half of your anticipated budget. From there you can add preamps, effects, etc to customize it however you want. Odds are though that you'll be happy for some years with what you have. Currently my rig is using the 200w Hartke to drive the two 4x10 cabinets, and it is far more than enough to keep up with gtr drums and keys in a heavy prog setting. Plenty of headroom, plenty of tonal versatility.
  17. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

PA support has a lot to do with my rig. Live and In the studio lately my sound to the board is just my bass and a sans amp RBI. What that means is I am free to eq my sound between my pre amp and power amp to suit the venue and it does not effect my tone in the PA. When I'm playing a venue with a Pa that has really strong subs ill roll off the lows below 40hz all together so the bass doesnt get muddy on stage from mixing with the lows bleeding back into the stage from the PAs subs. I figured out this little trick by owning a bunch of cabinets over the years that were tuned differently and liking certain cabinets in certain venues and other on in other venues.
  18. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

The best advice in this thread.

just because you have $1000 doesn't mean that you have to spend $1000. If a head will push 500 at 4 ohms then usually that means it will push from200-250 or so at 8 ohms .... There are a lot of heads that will fall in that category. By buying used you can experiment at a lower cost to you and then when you find the right combination of amp and cab you will know it. I went through several heads and cab configs before I was able to make an informed decision on what I like. All this was made possible by buying used gear and selling it along the way. The TalkBass classifieds are a great place for that.

Happy hunting.