Suggestions Needed - Which Higher Tension Flats for Gretsch G2220?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BulbousMoses, Jan 25, 2014.

1. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

In an effort to tighten up the E string, I'm looking for a higher tension set of flats for the Gretsch G2220 (30 inch scale) bass I have. I'd welcome any suggestions. It doesn't seem that D'Addario makes a short scale set with a .105 E...
  2. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

Yeah, I've noticed the same issue... that the E string is floppy on my G2220. I haven't found a solution, yet.
  3. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

What strings are you using?
  4. MakoMan

MakoMan

I have chromes on my 2202 and that tightened the floppy E string right up.
  5. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

So far, just the default that came on it. I picked up some Aurora coated strings, but I haven't actually put them on, yet.
  6. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

Let's pretend I don't know what Chromes are. Help me out?
  7. MakoMan

MakoMan

8. donn

donn

That's how it looks to me - largest gauge Chrome E is .100. But if you look on the bassstringsonline flatwound page ... the La Bella 760M 1954 (AKA "Jamerson") is .110, 760FM is .109, 760FS is .105. There could be differences in construction that would make more difference than a couple thousandths of an inch, but I'm confident that the 760M set will be high enough tension. (That's what I use on my Gretsch hollow body, but it's a tailpiece style so I'm tuning 34" strings to a 32" scale.)

I'm assuming that La Bella's string gauges are independent of scale, but as you can see that's not how the others do it. Short scale strings are typically lighter gauge, and in fact short scale Chromes are relatively heavy. Is that what you're using now?