Suggestions on my board, please?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JordanRasnic, Dec 31, 2012.

1. JordanRasnic

JordanRasnic

What I'm looking at:
    - Pedalboard Undecided -
    Line 6 Relay G30 Digital Wireless Guitar System - $257
    Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner - $56
    Tech 21 SansAmp 3-Channel Programmable Bass Driver DI - $209
    ^ and/or MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box with Distortion - $139
    Electro-Harmonix XO Micro POG Polyphonic Octave Generator - $212
    Electro-Harmonix Bass MicroSynth - $282
    (also) TC Helicon VoiceTone Correct XT - $199

Some recommendations on a pedalboard, as well as alternates to the effects listed would be great.

2. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

korg pitchblack rather than the TU-3

for less tone suck

Are you sure you really need a wireless guitar system?

3. JordanRasnic

JordanRasnic

Another question: My pickups are passive, meaning they are more prone to signal loss. I read that if you put a pedal with a buffered bypass at the front of your chain, it changes your signal from low to high impedance, thus eliminating the risk of signal degradation. Would the fact that my signal is coming out of the G30 before it hits the chain also eliminate the risk of signal loss?

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I like your list I would get everything used except the Line 6 because I would want the extended warranty on that one.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JordanRasnic

JordanRasnic

You are the second person to recommend the pitch black today, and I know many who use it, so that is definitely gonna be what I go with.

I'm in a metalcore band and we pride ourselves on an exceptional, explosive live performance. We've had several instances where we almost trip one another with cables, so we're all going wireless.

7. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

I bought a G50 wireless back in May of this year. Just like cell phones were 20 years ago where most people didn't know they needed it until they had one, the same applies to my wireless. Now that I have it I'm NEVER going back to cords.

8. JordanRasnic

JordanRasnic

Yea, I've done research and the G30 didn't get the best ratings on construction (plastic rather than die cast casing). I generally take great care of my gear but this will be near the front of the stage while I play so this was definitely good advice.

9. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

I bought the G50 for that reason. Also, I highly recommend the extended warranty (bought at GC) as mine just fritzed out last weekend and I got a quick reminder of why I wanted a wireless (dragging a cable all over the stage sucks). I had my cord tied in knots and tangled everywhere ( I move around a lot) in 2 songs time last Saturday night. The entire unit is covered for EVERYTHING including accidental damage!!! At $80 extra (for the G50) it was WELL worth it. I do not like the mini XLR connector used on the G50 (that's what broke, the jack) and think the G30's simple 1/4" to 1/4" short guitar cord is more sensible but that's just me. As long as they will fix it for free it's worth it. I just have to be patient and stand still on stage for a few weeks :meh:

10. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Fair enough with the cordless system if you guys are jumping about the stage.

11. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    I use a wireless ALL the time. The Line 6 has BETTER responce than a high quality cable. That's why they have the "cable tone" knob, so you can make it sound like your cable.

I would up for the G50 though. It's worth the extra. It also happens to have a tuner out. Program a "mute" channel on the Sans amp and you're good.

As far as tone lose, set the cable tone mentioned above to "0" feet and you'll have zero loss because the output imp of the wireless is so low it'll act as a really high end buffer.

12. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    The Pitch Black is a extremely accurate (better than Boss) tuner and it's cheaper than Boss also. The only other one I'd recommend in that price range is the Planetwaves Tru-strobe.

I use a Peterson. It's better than all of them, but it's also $200 USD.

13. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

Total pedal noob here (so I'm just posting out of curiousity)...what I've just put together:

Line 6 G50 Wireless
    Zoom B3 Amp Sim - DI/Multi-Effect/Tuner
    TC Helicon Mic Mechanic

I got a Gator board/case and was planning to get a different brand of power supply, but I'm not sure on how the layout is going to work...I'm contemplating an expression pedal.

So, the curiosity, what does your plan have that I don't? I'm not sure what the difference is between the TC Mic Mechanic and VoiceTone Correct.

14. DethByDoom

DethByDoom Supporting Member

+1

Go with a micro pog. Octave up and down. Worth the price.

Sanford and sonny Bluebeard fuzz.

This1sMyne buffers. x2. One at the beginning and one at the end of your signal chain. Ex: wireless- buffer- pedals- buffer- preamp/di- amp. Will prevent signal loss.

Consider a good compressor. Tons of threads on here about them.

15. Martinyeomans

Martinyeomans

As far as a synth, they're not cheap but the MarkBass super synth tracks like a champ. Be careful to get your settings right, especially the wet/dry mix or your signal may rise or fall dramatically when you engage the pedal. If you take the time to program it properly it's an awesome box.

16. JordanRasnic

JordanRasnic

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/markbass-super-synth-bass-pedal
    At $279, this will most likely be the last pedal I purchase. Is their a cheaper alternative? As I won't be using the pedal frequently. Or is this something better not compromised on.

I'm not even sure what a fuzz pedal is used for. Multiple reccomendations on the POG means I'll be making the switch on my board. Not sure what "This1sMyne" is, either. And I thought my SansAmp should go closer to my bass in the chain, not closest to the amp? Also, where should the compressor go in my current chain?

Hypothetically, your setup could do all that mine can and more because you have a multi-effects pedal (assuming the pedal comes with an octave effect). Only benefit to individual pedals is that if I don't like my octave pedal, I can replace just that. If you don't like your octave effect, you have to get a whole different multi-effects pedal. That is the only reason I'm going the setup I am going with.

As far as I can tell, my TC Helicon product is just a little more fancy than the one you picked out. For instance, with mine I can set the key for the correction, and mine also actively adapts to my tone and actively adjusts levels to prevent feedback. I've never seen the one you picked out, thanks for showing it to me, I'd like to look into it more.

Two recommendations on this thread as well as two from personal friends means I'll be switching this in my setup as well.

So I'm left with these questions:
    What pedals act as buffers?
    Where on the chain should a compressor be?
    Where on the chain should the SansAmp be?
    Does the Korg PitchBlack act as a buffer?
    What is a fuzz pedal used for?
    Why choose individual pedals over a multi-effects pedal (or vice versa)?

17. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

I saw a couple This1sMyne product recommendations. You might get what you want or you might get scammed. I have experience with both. The fact is that Dan Burgess of This1sMyne will take your money and/or property without any explanation.

18. JordanRasnic

JordanRasnic

Also looking at the MXR M-80 either in addition to or in place of the SansAmp. I'm in a metalcore band and need bass distortion, and I'm not sure I can achieve exactly what I want using a SansAmp. The MXR has a distortion effect built in, is cheaper in price, and has more AND better reviews than the SansAmp. Thoughts?

19. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

ehh.. guys with that small pedalboard i dont even think there will be any tone loss... lol, and dont bother getting the bddi 3 channel, unless you already have in mind on what to do with the other 2 channel, i bought the 3 channel and sold it away lol, i realise one channel is enough and there is a whole lot overdrive/distortion pedal that is better than bddi TRUST ME ON this.

20. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

i would go with
    :Line 6 G50,
    :tech 21 vt bass (if you dont need the di get the bddi if you need the di)
    :Fuzzrocious Rat
    :Boss PS-6
    :Ehx bass microsynth
    :Why did you need the auto correct? haha... for mic preamp i will get the EHX Mic Tube Preamp.

21. DethByDoom

DethByDoom Supporting Member

Wow, that's crazy. I didn't have a single problem. Sorry if you got burned. He was prompt and professional with me. Weird.

M80 into an SVT is the default metal sound.

More than 3 pedals and you're gonna get high end tone loss. There's a ton of people making small dedicated buffers. Prices vary greatly. Check some YouTube videos on buffers.

Personally I run my board: korg pitch black- buffer- original bass balls- aphex punch factory- bluebeard fuzz- fulltone bass drive- ehx small clone- ehx stereo pulsar- byoc lazy sprocket- buffer- sans amp bddi. The sans I only have on there in case the tube head craters at a show.

Also, fuzz is distortion with a bit more squarish of a waveform. Fuzz is your friend.

Imho, the Sanford and sonny bluebeard fuzz(with tone mod) and the fuzzrocious rat tail distortion are the best bang for your buck right now.