Suggestions or help on playing/simplifying

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by grkd131, Feb 5, 2014.

1. grkd131

grkd131

Hey guys, this is my first time making my own thread and this forum and I'm looking for some assistance or guidance really. I'm currently completely a stage 2 course for Music and I'm required to play in an ensemble. Most of the songs we are playing are Ska-Punk and the bass is crazy (for me at least) there are parts in the songs that I can get, but some of it is just too fast. Can anyone offer some advice on how I can simplify the music or make it more manageable. For the record I have been playing bass off and on for about 3 years now.

The song I'm struggling with the most is this one;
    Walking Away - Streetlight Manifesto (not Catch 22)
    http://www.jellynote.com/en/sheet-m...g-away/5076ac87d2235a7374cd861c#tabs:#score_A

Any help is greatly appreciated :)
  2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

What I do, not necessarily the correct thing....

When the song becomes to fast for me to follow along, i.e. has too many notes per measure, I omit any walking, or note for note, and do the best I can with tonic roots till I can get back on track. Keep the beat with tonic roots or lay out. Better to lay out than mess everyone else up.
  3. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

This. Plus another thing is to just omit some notes. For example, if it is a fast line with 16th notes, you could play it as 8th notes. Just make sure to hit all of the accented notes.

And on the side (when not playing it with a band) get a program that can slow the audio tempo down, and practice it at a comfortable tempo correctly. Then gradually speed it up as you are able. This way, you eventually WILL be able to play it correctly.
  4. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

Two parts
    1. The Rhythm
    2. The Pitch

Easiest way to simplify it
    1 - CLAP along with the bassline, omitting different beats/notes each repeat. This'll tell you which beats are essential to the feel & which are for frills.
    2 - HUM or SING the bassline. The catchiest bits are essential, and the less-clear bits can be simplified or omitted.

Ghost notes are you're friend. :)