Suicide bombing in Volgograd (Russia)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Dec 29, 2013.

1. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25541019

Scary stuff, 2nd attack in 3 days.

2. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Keep in mind that roughly 7 billion people got through the day without an event like this.

They win when we get scared. They lose when we don't

3. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

4. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

I have tried several comments before finally posting this but decided that they were all too inflammatory and broke too many TB rules.

We must not fear these weak little random attacks. Thousands More people die in a day in accidents caused by their own mistakes than from terror attacks. We must simply feel for the victims here and just carry on un-phased.

7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

The only way a terrorist can win is if they instill enough fear to keep people from going about their daily business.

The only way to defeat terrorists is to be better terrorists. You can not imagine how much satisfaction I get from knowing there are a whole lot of upper crust terrorists these days afraid to show themselves for fear of a reaper putting a hot round up their backside.

As far as the former Soviet Union being under terrorist siege, I could care less. While they can't be credited with originating the concept of terrorism as a military tactic, they most certainly elevated it to a high art form and are largely responsible for the current doctrine and tactics religious fanatics are employing. It is (to me) more than simple poetic justice to see them scrambling from the effects of their own weapon. it is in some measure justice for the millions of people worldwide they are responsible for murdering in their quest for global Soviet domination before their system collapsed under it's own weight.

8. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Funny how the response was so different with a singular smaller attack on the US.

Yes, people die daily from everything else, it's the escalating attacks (apparently) in the run up to the Olympics, though clearly, who cares right?

Modern Russia isn't the Soviet Union and while I couldn't care less about the establishment, it's regular folks being taken out. Soviets making terrorism a high art form? Pot calling the kettle black much?

9. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

For sure FHM. You point how people (targets) just carry on and the coward terrorist leaders hide.

Breaking news: a second bomb on a bus has been detonated today. Today the targets went about their business and some more died. Terrorists lose another one.

Since the Russian federation cares little about world perception of its actions, I predict these extremists will suffer ten fold at the hand of the military.

10. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

+1
    These are civilians being killed in these attacks. Regardless of past history, these folks are not deserving of this just like our civilians, nor virtually anyone else's are not deserving of being murdered.
    And all one needs to do is to read up on the Cold War and it's multitude of proxy wars and incidents to realize that we ALL had a hand in creating this monster.

11. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Yup, particularly our governments, the work the British and US governments (as well as the Soviet Union of the time) put into placing controllable puppet governments in the middle east. Or even more directly, the likes of Operation Cyclone.

12. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

For sure. But in the Russian and central Asian regions, the Russians did the exact same thing and now it's coming back to bite them.
    Just like us, they were totally running with the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" method of thought. You'd think we would have learned that that's a bad idea by now...

13. BawanaRik

One of the things I like about having people from outside the US responding is that we get a different view of things.

14. BawanaRik

How often do "people" learn? It's a slow painful process at best that tends to be repeated all to often for effect.

15. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sometimes I think it's all comes down to: "what can I get out of this now", rather than "where will this leave me down the road a few years"
    Immediate gain is often the only game in politics. But.. let's not go there. :(

16. BawanaRik

I find it's an issue with people on an individual level also. New shiney v perfectly serviceable.

Buy today, be in debt for many tomorrows.

Burn a bridge and complain about it not being there.

But A New Year is upon us.

A chance to do and be better!

17. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

I just hope that our Russian friends have improved on their tactics for dealing with terrorism.
    They didn't do very well with Beslan, or with the Moscow theatre attacks.

If this escalates, it won't be pretty.

18. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

I for one, would not want to piss Putin off. If and when they figure out the identities of those responsible, I have a feeling that Gitmo might look like a day (or lifetime) at the beach without due process..........

19. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

Clearly those killed in the attacks were personally responsible for any and all crimes of the USSR.

+1

20. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Cut down enough ordinary folks strung up with piano wire and dig up enough graves full of kids shot in the head, all done as reminders to toe the line, and I can assure you it will change your mind.

As I said so many times before, as long as we have people with that mindset, the only way to stop them is to drop in and lay them out to cool.

Some political idealists can be reasoned with, but most cannot, and religious fanatics, forget it, the kindest thing you can do for them is kill them quickly.

The ONLY alternative for either class of fanatic is wait for them to kill you because if they live long enough, they will be the only one's left alive.

If there was any other way besides meeting violence with greater violence as a means of preventing fanatics from visiting their madness on the rest of us, I'd be the first in line to advocate it, but as long as there are more than 2 humans on this planet one will be trying to dominate the other.

You don't have to like it (god knows I don't), but you must accept it and be prepared to do it if you expect to survive. On second thought, you never need to worry about having to do it personally, but only because someone else is willing to step up and accept the reality of life in this world of greed, avarice, and fanatical idealists we live in.

I'm a realist, you are a (nonviolent) idealist. It doesn't mean we can't coexist, it just means we have different views. I could care less if you like me or my methods, all that matters to me is that at the end of the day some half smart fanatic with an AK and a chunk of C4 was prevented from taking either of our lives.

21. BawanaRik

The guy does seem to take care of business.