1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Suitable cab for GK 400RB? Any suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by homedentistry, Nov 11, 2012.

1. homedentistry

homedentistry

I've just been given a 400RB and am wondering about a suitable cab. So far I'm leaning towards either an Eden 212xlt (400w)or the Aguilar gs212 (600w). Any suggestions? I like the idea of a 2x12 giving something in between a 15 and a 4x10 in terms of tone. The GK is 4 ohm, does that mean i need a 4 ohm cab or would 8 ohm be ok? I don't really understand ohms at all (i confess, i am a drummer).
    Thankyou.
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

It will be fine with a 8 ohm cab, the amp will just put out less wattage. IIRC the Aggy cab has better sensitivity than the Eden so it would get the nod. Or pick up a G-K NEO212 II?
    I'll leave the Dummer er I mean Drummer thing alone. :bag: :D
  3. Pokerdweebz

Pokerdweebz Supporting Member

I'm a GK man myself, so I would look at trying a GK Neo 212. As above an 8 ohm cab would be fine. If you think in the future you would be getting another cab to go with the first one get an 8 ohm. An 8 ohm + an 8 ohm = 4 ohms which is fine. 8 ohm +4 ohm = 2.6 ohm = dead amp.
  4. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

I used my old 80's 400rb through my ampeg 8x10 and that was freaking loud!! The 400 rb is one of my all time favorites for solid state!
  5. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Supporting Member

Another vote for GK Neo 212. Quite sensitive cab, and sounds great.

Back in the day, the 400RB with a Hartke 410XL was my favorite rig! Those are such great amps.
  6. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat Supporting Member

I have 2 400s. Have an lds 1x15. Just sold an avatar 410. Great thru either.
  7. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

I've run my 400RB through various 2-15 cabs with very good results, definitely giggable.

2-10s makes for a very nice rehearsal rig and lower volume (more acoustic) gigs, too, and I like that for double bass as well.

+1 to the above comment on going with higher sensitivity cabs to get the most out of it. Great all around ss amp, it's the swiss army knife in my amp collection.
  8. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

.. couple quick thoughts on the OP ... tone is as much, if not more, a product of EQ and cabinet design than speaker (driver) size ... and your 400RB is not a '4 ohm amp', it is an amp capable of a 4 ohm minimum load ... meaning you do not want your final impedance to drop below 4 ohms, anything above is fine ... just realize as mentioned by B String, there will be less output at the higher (larger number) impedances, UNLESS you increase the NUMBER of speakers (not size), which will increase the perceived volume ...

Edit to add: .. I have one 400RB left, and I have yet to find a cabinet/speaker size that it did not sound good through .. very versatile amp .. JMHO
  9. homedentistry

homedentistry

Thanks for the info/advice guys. Will definately look into the GK212.
  10. mcm

mcm

The ultimate would be the 400 with the bag end 15 stack.
  11. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I disagree, mate it with a G-K NEO412!
  12. mcm

mcm

Yeah 12's are cool too.
  13. bedroommuso

bedroommuso

Hmm lots of love for the 212 Neo.. My 400RB is still looking for a match.

Currently playing through EV TL606 with a 15" Eminence Delta. No complaints re tone or volume.
  14. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I've been gigging mine more and more for small bar/club gigs through a pair of homemade boxes containing Emi. Deltalite 12" neos, those being the platform many OEM's are based on. I actually like it just a bit more than my 800rb, because I can crank the thing up to where it really gets going. Carrying the room up to 80-ish people or so and easily covering the stage at bigger stuff where we're all in the PA.
  15. Marton

Marton

If you don't mind (very) heavy cabs, get a 810.

I gig all the time with my 400RB, but in a Ashdown VS-212-200 cab. Sounds great, pretty easy to haul, and looks fantastic together.
  16. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Back in the 1980's we used to pair the 400rb (and the 800rb) with Hartke 410xl cabs. They were standard back line gear all around the US. Still a mighty combo.