Sunbeams to low riders on a P bass.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by seansbrew, Nov 6, 2013.

1. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

So I recently purchased a Steve a Harris p bass. The strings that came installed on it (Steve harris sig. Monel flats) did not stay on there for more than one day.

The first set I installed were DR sunbeams. I love these strings and have used them for years. They have such a nice midrange voicing and feel good on the hands. I also like the low tension.

They were perfect for a while until my band started throwing in tower of power covers. Some of the fast passages are not as clear when I play them. It seems like the string can't recover fast enough before the next note is played. I know it's all technique, but every little bit helps.

So tonight I put on a fresh set of DR nickel low riders. These strings have a hex core and therefore have a little more tension. they are Still nice on the hands with a more authoritative focus.

They play much faster and my passages have more definition now.
    They make the bass sound a little meaner if that makes sense.

Still I don't think they are as nicely voiced as the sunbeams.

I will leave them on until they wear out. Which won't take long as I playing every day.

Any other suggestions for strings for a P bass from players who have a P bass?
  2. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

La Bella Deep Talkin' Rounds might be worth a shot. I can't think of any other rounds that are voiced as mellow as Sun Beams, except for maybe GHS Boomers once broken in, but I have never liked Boomers myself.

I bought a set of Deep Talkin' Rounds a while back, but I never let them break in because I got the wrong gauge (too heavy). I remember liking the way sounded a lot though, big lows with definition, not very zingy for SS rounds. I will try them again one day, but the bass I was using them on is currently wearing DR flats which I won't be changing anytime soon. Good luck with the search.
  3. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

The deep talking rounds are now on my list of strings to try.

The DR legends you speak of are great even sounding flats. They are my favorite flats so far.