Sunn 1200s/Bassman 1200 Demo?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by itsnottruerufus, Nov 20, 2012.

1. itsnottruerufus

itsnottruerufus

So, after seeing Into It. Over It. play a few weeks ago and talking to Owen about his 1200s and all that (killer tone) I've become interested in these heads (Up until now I've really wanted an SVT, or maybe like a Terror Bass), however there's absolutely no demos on youtube or anything like that, so I was wondering if anyone on here who had one would be willing to demo it? Maybe with a P Bass?

Anyone with opinions on the head can chime in as well.
  2. Rocksolid

Rocksolid

Picked one up a few months ago and I am really enjoying it. I am waiting for my Berg NV412 to arrive this week to use with it. I can't wait!!!
  3. pinz

pinz

Do you mean one of these ? before I rant.

[​IMG]
  4. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

I used to own one of these and have quite a bit of experience with it. Fantastic amps. Don't have any real demos although this demo of my Dearmond Starfire bass was recorded through the balanced line out of my Bassman 1200 Pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO8PrqW0JtE

if you have any questions in particular feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to answer them!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I have the tubier brother to those amps, the Bassman 300 Pro. It's plenty of amp for me on its own and man does it sound good!
  7. Will Kelly

Will Kelly Gold Supporting Member

I have one and am willing to make a demo with a p-bass but it will have to be after December 9th or so, I am busy as all hell right now with gigs.

It is a great amp... I have owned both incarnations, the Sunn 1200s and the Fender Bassman 1200 pro. Identical in every way, except the fender had upgrades to keep it from overheating. The Sunn I had never experienced any issues.

Sure does sound nice, plus witht the right tube in the second channel, you can get some really amazing overdrive and breakup.
  8. pinz

pinz

I look forward to your demo Will.
    I have had the one pictured above for must be nearly 10 years now and done a massive amount of gigging with it,first with a tired old Fender BXR 4x10 (8 Ohm) now with a Genz Benz Uber 4x10 (4 Ohm).
    Been into the shop for repairs a couple of times and to have some mod done to reduce all the internals from vibrating to bits.But with the amount of use and bashing about over that time it was expected.(been dropped and fallen off the cab a few times)
    Insanely LOUD !!! dunno why the master volume goes all the way to 10,never run it past 3-4 on Pre and Post with the new speaker cab at gigs.
    Huge range of tones available,love the built in compressor,dont have a bad word to say about it,and would never sell it either.
  9. Rocksolid

Rocksolid

I started a thread on this a while ago. What tube are you using in the 2nd channel? I'm trying to get a fairly bright overdrive.
  10. Will Kelly

Will Kelly Gold Supporting Member

When I do the demo, I will unrack it and take the top off. I cant remember what tubes are in it, other than they are NOS vintage tubes.
  11. Rocksolid

Rocksolid

Thanks, That would be great. How would you describe the Overdriven sound you get with the 2nd channel, amd what cab are you using it with?
  12. vegedge

vegedge

this is a fender made under the sunn name right? like the model t reissue?

why did fender buy the name just to put out a few things and then do nothing for the past ten years?
  13. pinz

pinz

Yes,my Sunn still bears the Fender name on the back panel

To stamp out the competition I guess,wipe them from the face of the planet.
  14. Rocksolid

Rocksolid

OK! its the 10th in Australia... :bag:
  15. thunderpick

thunderpick

do any of you guys know the values of the 2sc3263 and 2sa1294 transisters on the fender bassman 1200 pro head amp? or can point me in the dirrection of a schimatic of this board, its the red one. finding that this transistor comes in many values and want to get the right ones.
  16. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

so it's been over half a year and nobody made the video? I'm a bit curious myself.
  17. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    just get one. you wont regret it.
  18. pinz

pinz

Hey I just found a genuine 4 page schematic for this model in my filing cabinet !!!! :hyper: I forgot last time mine was repaired the guy gave it to me , love to help but what am I looking for on these 4 pages ?

Still loving my Sunn 1200s btw .
  19. Balog

Balog Supporting Member

I'd love a copy of that if you happen to scan it.
  20. pinz

pinz

It wont fit in my scanner the pages are too big,maybe I can take photos and stick them in my photobucket album for all to see ? Any other options ? :thumbup:
  21. pinz

pinz