Sunn 200S vs Sunn 215BH cabs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Oren Hudson, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Interested in your thoughts, experiences, opinions on these two cabs. I have an opportunity on each one. Unfortunately, the 200S has no speakers (I know that JBL D140Fs were standard.) The 215BH has the standard Sunn Transducers. Also would like opinions on speakers for the 200S in addition to the JBLs that would work well. I've got a Sunn Coliseum 300 watt SS head to use with these. :cool:
  2. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

I have the 215BH with orginal drivers and I think its a brilliant sounding cab. I have a similar Randal215BH cab and it doesnt compare. I have two other 215 cabs and they too dont compare to the huge lows coming from the Sunn even with a low powered head. Its too bad theyre so huge, I wouldnt want to gig with it as I cant carry it alone.
  3. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

I had 2 of the 200S cabs with original drivers - they were from Felix Papplardi's Mountain backline, believe it or not! Anyway, if you are looking for high volume you may be disappointed; a single cab was taxed badly for stage coverage, even struggling to musically handle the 100W SS Yamaha head I used with it. Both cabs together were a real treat, but who the heck can move all that tonnage? The slant-faced, side port cab I have no experience with, sorry. BUT I had a side vertical port Yamaha 2x15 which was a monster.
  4. bassdopp

bassdopp

The 200s is the better of the two. IMO
    If you can get your hands on a pair of JBL K140's you will be very happy. They have the classic 140 sound at half the weight of the E140 and double the power of the D140. Each K will handle 300 watts each. That will let you push the Coliseum at a safe but loud level. I had two 200s cabs loaded that way with the Coliseum. It was awesome!!!!!!
    The Sunn transducers are good, but not great. They will break up before you really get to that sweet spot on the Coliseum. IMO.
    Good luck and have fun!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Sartori

Sartori

I have the Sunn 2000S cab, which is like the 200S but a bit bigger.

It sounds very full without being at all muddy. It's very.... authoritative, I guess, in the lows, while being also very clear sounding.
  7. ejonn

ejonn

I just loaded Eminence CA154's In my 200s cab. Very pleased with the results.
  8. ryco

ryco

My Sunn 200s 215 came with Cerwin Vegas.
    It was loud and punchy as all get out, but as others have stated, it was a b**** to roadie.
    I ended up selling it after a friend gave me an old '70s Plush 215 cab. Tons lighter and IMO actually sounded better. Just seemed to have a better stage throw and I could actually hump it around by myself.
    The Sunns were very sturdy and well made. :bassist:
  9. ejonn

ejonn

Mine had the CV's also. They sounded great, and lasted, no....survived, a long long time.
  10. edbass

edbass

The 200S was only available with D140Fs as OEM, the side ported "215" offered Sunn Transducer (215S), Sunn Magna (215M) or Cerwin Vega (215V) drivers as OEM.
    Either the 200 or 215 Sunn cabs sound phenomenal with K140s; so good you can almost taste it. ;)
  11. ejonn

ejonn

Interesting...mine had CV 153EM drivers.
    Pretty much any cabinet would be superb with the k140's
  12. D.M.N.

D.M.N. Supporting Member

It should be noted that with the 200s, you have to really consider speaker size. The internals of the cabs are very tight, so it can be a pretty snug fit to get speakers with a larger magnet on the back to fit in there.

Given the choice, I'd get the 200s cab and get speakers for it, as you very well might end up getting new speakers for the 215S anyways.
  13. edbass

edbass

The cab on the right is a 200S opened up. As you can see the rear loaded D140Fs are a pretty tight fit because of the port ducting.

[​IMG]

The 2000S on the left has the same ducting, but since it’s “scaled up” from the 200S cab it is more flexible as far as what drivers will fit. As D.M.N. mentions, speakers with larger diameter ceramic magnets don’t usually fit in a 200S cab. The combination of rear loading and the restrictive ducting make even the smaller diameter AlNiCo motored JBL a “tight fit”.
    This is the front loaded Sunn 215 cab, pretty much any 15” driver will drop right in.

[​IMG]

As far as my ears can tell, the Sunn 215 and 200S sound damn near identical; I’ve never messed around with the 215BH so I can’t make a comparison.
  14. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

The Yamaha 2x15 I used for many years was/is a dead ringer clone of the Sunn 215 cab and I can say that the design has much better on-stage throw than the 200s. [​IMG]