Sunn 200S vs Sunn 215BH cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Oren Hudson, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Interested in your thoughts, experiences, opinions on these two cabs. I have an opportunity on each one. Unfortunately, the 200S has no speakers (I know that JBL D140Fs were standard.) The 215BH has the standard Sunn Transducers. Also would like opinions on speakers for the 200S in addition to the JBLs that would work well. I've got a Sunn Coliseum 300 watt SS head to use with these. :cool:
  2. BasturdBlaster

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    I have the 215BH with orginal drivers and I think its a brilliant sounding cab. I have a similar Randal215BH cab and it doesnt compare. I have two other 215 cabs and they too dont compare to the huge lows coming from the Sunn even with a low powered head. Its too bad theyre so huge, I wouldnt want to gig with it as I cant carry it alone.
  3. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    New York USA
    I had 2 of the 200S cabs with original drivers - they were from Felix Papplardi's Mountain backline, believe it or not! Anyway, if you are looking for high volume you may be disappointed; a single cab was taxed badly for stage coverage, even struggling to musically handle the 100W SS Yamaha head I used with it. Both cabs together were a real treat, but who the heck can move all that tonnage? The slant-faced, side port cab I have no experience with, sorry. BUT I had a side vertical port Yamaha 2x15 which was a monster.
  4. bassdopp

bassdopp Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2012
    The 200s is the better of the two. IMO
    If you can get your hands on a pair of JBL K140's you will be very happy. They have the classic 140 sound at half the weight of the E140 and double the power of the D140. Each K will handle 300 watts each. That will let you push the Coliseum at a safe but loud level. I had two 200s cabs loaded that way with the Coliseum. It was awesome!!!!!!
    The Sunn transducers are good, but not great. They will break up before you really get to that sweet spot on the Coliseum. IMO.
    Good luck and have fun!
  5. Sponsored by:

6. I have the Sunn 2000S cab, which is like the 200S but a bit bigger.

It sounds very full without being at all muddy. It's very.... authoritative, I guess, in the lows, while being also very clear sounding.
  7. ejonn

Dec 12, 2012
    I just loaded Eminence CA154's In my 200s cab. Very pleased with the results.
  8. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    My Sunn 200s 215 came with Cerwin Vegas.
    It was loud and punchy as all get out, but as others have stated, it was a b**** to roadie.
    I ended up selling it after a friend gave me an old '70s Plush 215 cab. Tons lighter and IMO actually sounded better. Just seemed to have a better stage throw and I could actually hump it around by myself.
    The Sunns were very sturdy and well made. :bassist:
  9. ejonn

Dec 12, 2012
    Mine had the CV's also. They sounded great, and lasted, no....survived, a long long time.
  10. edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    The 200S was only available with D140Fs as OEM, the side ported "215" offered Sunn Transducer (215S), Sunn Magna (215M) or Cerwin Vega (215V) drivers as OEM.
    Either the 200 or 215 Sunn cabs sound phenomenal with K140s; so good you can almost taste it. ;)
  11. ejonn

Dec 12, 2012
    Interesting...mine had CV 153EM drivers.
    Pretty much any cabinet would be superb with the k140's
  12. D.M.N.

D.M.N. Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Friday Harbor, WA
    It should be noted that with the 200s, you have to really consider speaker size. The internals of the cabs are very tight, so it can be a pretty snug fit to get speakers with a larger magnet on the back to fit in there.

Given the choice, I'd get the 200s cab and get speakers for it, as you very well might end up getting new speakers for the 215S anyways.
  13. edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    The cab on the right is a 200S opened up. As you can see the rear loaded D140Fs are a pretty tight fit because of the port ducting.

The 2000S on the left has the same ducting, but since it’s “scaled up” from the 200S cab it is more flexible as far as what drivers will fit. As D.M.N. mentions, speakers with larger diameter ceramic magnets don’t usually fit in a 200S cab. The combination of rear loading and the restrictive ducting make even the smaller diameter AlNiCo motored JBL a “tight fit”.
    This is the front loaded Sunn 215 cab, pretty much any 15” driver will drop right in.

As far as my ears can tell, the Sunn 215 and 200S sound damn near identical; I’ve never messed around with the 215BH so I can’t make a comparison.
  14. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    New York USA
    The Yamaha 2x15 I used for many years was/is a dead ringer clone of the Sunn 215 cab and I can say that the design has much better on-stage throw than the 200s. [​IMG]
  15. PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    which Sunn Transducers are u referring to? Have a front loaded 200s (Dean Markley clone) and am trying to decide if the cb158 may be a good bet? I realize they prolly don't have the upper mids of a k140 but wonder how it would work for a sub or the bottom of a bi-amp rig with the legends in it? I got it used loaded with what look to be Force 15 EV's
    thanx bassdrop!
  16. PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    just recently read in another TB thread, that eminence recommends a kappalite 3015 for the 200s, in addition to the cb158 (which is allegedly better in a 3 cu ft box), have not verified this to be true yet, anyone else heard this?
    Am in need of the cu ft specs for a 200s, (but front mounted).. is hard to calculate for me because of the Siamesed slanted horizontal center vent(s) and I am math illiterate...
  17. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I played through the BH cab loaded with JBL K145s for several years. It worked well but I got tired of moving a major appliance into every gig.
  18. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    Played a 200s with D140s' and a V4B head for about 15 years. Replaced the Sunn with a Carvin 24"x 24" cube loaded with one E140 15" back in the late '80s'. I don't know if it was the difference between the D140 and E140 or the difference between rear loading, the 200s, or front loading, the Carvin, but the Carvin seemed to be pushing more air and had about the same or more output compared to the Sunn, even if driving the one 15". Jim