1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

SUNN Folded Horn Bass Bin

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by nashvillebill, Dec 15, 2004.

1. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

I've got an ancient Sunn bass bin that I've had for years. It's a folded horn with a 15, in a curved front that looks a lot like Bill Fitzmaurice's Snail.

I've never seen any of these any where else, and couldn't find any references to it on the unofficial Sunn site (dangpow).

Anybody ever seen one? If so, any thoughts on its usefulness?
  2. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

IMO, it is a safe bet the Sunn is nowhere close to a Snail, and not even in the same league as a Tuba.
  3. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

I'll try to post a pic later tonight...
  4. chunky

chunky

I have a folded horn sunn 2x15, but I don't think it's anything terribly rare.

It claims to handle 180 watts RMS, but the speakers have been replaced with eminence speakers rated to handle 150 watts RMS each.

Bass comes out of this cab in all directions, with no particular focus. It's pretty muddy, and MUCH louder 10-20 feet from the source.

The dimensions are 45 x 28 x 21, and it's too heavy for me to lift without help.

I know that sunn made PA amps, did they ever make PA subs, or speakers? Perhaps that's what you have.

As far as usefulness for your cab... have you gigged with it? Do you find it useful? I'm not sure if there's a concrete answer to this part of your question, as it seems a bit vague.
  5. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

An area band called "Uncle Boob" (good boogie band) was playing a street dance in our town back in '74. This guy had two of these cabs stacked so they form a full horn with a Model T head on top. It sounded pretty good as I remember. I believe folded horns project further than other cabs. If I were using one, I'd probably set a standard cab on top of it for the near-field. I'd say useful in large indoor settings and outdoor.
  6. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

Doesn't look like I'll have time to take a pic tonite, but I suspect this probably was a PA bass bin, as Chunky suggests...
  7. iammr2

iammr2

I used to gig with two of those, except with 2-15 boxes. Loved em. Nice and loud and clean. Powered them with Sunn Concert heads. Great projection and would really make those pantlegs flap in the wind. If I'd have seen these post 6 months ago I'd have offered money for it.

8. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

10. brianrost

brianrost Supporting Member

John Entwistle used those cabs in the late 70s & early 80s.

Folded horns are great for playing in large spaces, they can be much louder in the room than on stage if the room is too small. They are usually very efficient but lacking in highs compared to front loaded cabs.
  11. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

I'm looking for one to compliment my SWR 810
  12. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

I used to have one! Crazy that you mention it. it was back in 1976?
    Black tolex, the inside was painted WHITE. it had a curved front with the speaker facing the back like a folded horn. It was a partial or half horn I guess. I think it was called a 115 BH . Handled 80 watts I think. It had a strange sound if I recall. Pretty deep cabinet. I'd probably never use one if I had it though. Too weird. Good projection though. Back in those days I smoked alot of weed and had the idea of putting a colored light bulb back behind the horn so this eerie red glow came out of this cave like speaker. Sure would like to have those bell bottoms again though.
  13. Rock&Roll

Rock&Roll

That's not for the bass guitar. That's a PA subwoofer horn. I don't think anyone is making a bass guitar folded horn these days. I'd say, look for things close to the Acoustic 370, and there your have a bass guitar cabinet.
  14. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

The shape is like mine, though mine is black paint (with some blue spackles all over it). There's no label on mine.

I've been busy with work and girlfriend obligations, eventually I'll get a pic up here.
  15. gojirin

gojirin

I remember the 2 x 15 cabs - they first came out in the early '70's.
    Very cool. The first one I saw up close belonged to Howie Epstein who later played with Tom Petty.
    I remember the 1x 15's being PA cabs, but perhaps there is a bit of disrememberment...
  16. brianrost

brianrost Supporting Member

No, Sunn definitely made 1-15 folded horns for bass.
  17. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

can folded 10's and 12's be possible?
  18. slinkp

slinkp

Of course. billfitzmaurice.com has a bunch of designs...

I played through a borrowed Sunn 115 horn once, I think it might have been the 115BH mentioned here. I didn't like it at all, lots of weird resonance and not very impressive volume for its size/weight. But I don't think it was the original driver, and that might have thrown off the voicing.

With regards to Entwistle, I don't think he ever used this particular model. Lots of pictures and notes on his Sunn rigs here:
    http://www.thewho.net:16080/whotabs/equipment/bass/equip-entwistlegear-71-74.html
    http://www.thewho.net:16080/whotabs/equipment/bass/equip-entwistlegear-74-85.html
  19. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    In the early '80s I had a Sunn folded horn 18" cab...a big cube that was loud and deep...your amp's bright switch didn't make a difference. The cab was so big I was asked not to use it in clubs because of the amount of space it used up:)

Earlier, I lived in an area where lots of guys built an Electrovoice plan for a huge folded horn with one 15. Boy, did that have a peaky frequency response!
  20. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

As promised, here's a pic...finally!!