1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Sunn O)))

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by necropain, Nov 29, 2012.

1. necropain

necropain

I am refering to the band Sunn O))) not the amps.

im a fan of Sunn o))) and i think their sound is awesome anyone know how i would go about getting such a deep dark distorted fuzzed out sound?
  2. Tractorr

Tractorr

3. Tractorr

Tractorr

There are some effects listed there but I think they are more for the vocals and maybe to add a bit of atmosphere. Overall they achieve there sound from detuning, tube amps, and a lot of speakers.
  4. JoeVictim

JoeVictim

5. necropain

necropain

i just wanna know how to make my bass sound like that
  6. necropain

necropain

you right joevictim you do experience it
  7. jdwhitak

jdwhitak Supporting Member

I just listened to several of their songs on YouTube and I don't get it. Sure the tone is righteous, but there is nothing to their music. Just strumming through some chords and all the songs sounded pretty much the same to me. Very little variation. I can't believe this group is getting "critical acclaim" in the press.
  8. EvilJekyll

EvilJekyll

+1
  9. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality Supporting Member

Someone likes music that you don't. More breaking news at 11.

For stoner and doom tone advice, you'll get a bigger response in this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f28/stoner-doom-bassists-thread-part-37-ancient-alien-fuzz-936354/
  10. Kilometers

Kilometers

Sunn O))) is a band you definitely have to spend a lot of time with to appreciate. That said I understand why someone wouldn't be a fan.

OP, get an ebow and enjoy literally infinite constant sustain on those droney thick notes.
  11. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp Supporting Member

Where's that Boramir meme!?!? "One does not simply listen to Sunn O)))!" Lol
  12. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp Supporting Member

You can start with some sort of muff-styled fuzz but you're gonna be lacking a big part of what makes up their sound (multiple, cranked up tube amps).
  13. Metaldood19

Metaldood19

Absolutely mindblowing band. HUUUUGE fan of them, as far as getting that tone? No idea, I think thats part of what makes Sun o))) such a great band. They are shrouded in mystery both tonally as well as musically. Like posters above me, you experience them.
  14. Gabeja15

Gabeja15 Supporting Member

15. necropain

necropain

so heres the thing im not trying to sound exaclty like Sunn o))) what im trying to do is get a similar type of sound.
    so i wonder do you guys think octave down+fuzz=basic of that sound then add things such as dark reverb and a little delay probably some really slow wah?
  16. MRDOOM

MRDOOM

Sunn o))).jpg
    A better idea of what their setup looks like
  17. Josh Pelican

Josh Pelican

You're not going to sound like Sunn. You don't have a robe.
  18. falconspatriots

falconspatriots Oh Word Supporting Member

+1
  19. necropain

necropain

1. i do have a robe

2. how is it that i post a thread basically wondering what fuzz would be good for this and also wondering if i would need and octaver or something to get a sound thats hellah thick and hella fuzzed out and hella low that is similar to sunn and yet i just get a "you need to really get into sunn" "you dont have a robe" "you need a thousand amps to sound like them"(exageration i know) 1 none of you know what amps i have and that didnt answer anythings

honestly way to not answer a question guys
  20. mc_muench

mc_muench