Super Collider-Acid age vs Earthbound Audio

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CircleOfCrows, Mar 9, 2014.

1. CircleOfCrows

CircleOfCrows

Hey Guys
    Now I realise it's the same guy doing these, but are there any differences between the original and the new release?
    It's a pedal I was interested in but only found out when it was already discontinued...

Cheers guys

C.

2. jwr

jwr Supporting Member

I think it's the same thing? I don't know for sure. I'm interested to hear this as well.

3. TheDepths

TheDepths Supporting Member

I wondered the same thing when I was ordering mine, I believe it is the essentially the same but you'd have to email him. I have an Acid Age Supercollider (the SC version) and am very pleased with it, very aggressive sound, tons of gain and lots of low end. Build quality is very good and I love the black sparkle finish. I wonder if any other TB'ers have experience with the Supercollider? I'd be interested to hear their opinions....

4. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

Couple possible differences...

Early supercolliders had a switch instead of a knob for mids. The acid age supercolliders come in two different voicings. The standard one and a "71" model. Not sure what the tone differences are though.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. godblender

godblender Supporting Member

My understanding is that they're the exact same circuits except the newer Acid Age version is in a nice, smaller enclosure. FWIW I owned an earlier SuperCollider and it remains easily one of the best sound sound Muff variants for bass that I've ever played. At some point I may buy one of his newer offerings.

7. CircleOfCrows

CircleOfCrows

Yeah, I may have to contact him. The earlier incarnations of the pedal sold me on them - if it has that sound I am interested.

8. acidage

acidage

Disclosures:
    builder & owner of Acid Age Electronics
    Hello- this is Mark from Acid Age / Earthbound Audio. Just joined talkbass but probably should have long ago. Thanks for the positive words about the Supercollider!

Let me attempt to clarify the different Supercollider versions.

v1: mids switch rather than knob
    v2: mids knob replaces switch
    sometime during the v2 era: gain knob changed from audio to linear taper
    v3: LED clipping added & slight boost in gain

Acid Age Supercollider:
    - smaller size
    - LED clipping option dropped
    - level control changed from audio to linear taper
    - tone control altered for wider sweep

The basic sound is the same but the knobs have a different sweep. Unity gain now arrives earlier on the level knob.

The tone knob now works like a classic muff control with extreme bass at 7 o'clock and extreme treble at 5 o'clock. The old SC tone control limited the sweep to what would now be around 9 to around 3. The reason was that I felt the most useful settings were at or near 12 o'clock. I changed it for the Acid Age version because I really like the extreme bass setting for certain effects. At 12 o'clock it is the same as 12 o'clock on the older versions.

The 71 is a different take on the circuit. I can go into more detail if anyone is curious.

9. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Yes please do! Proud owner of a BEAST here.

10. acidage

acidage

Disclosures:
    Thanks! Finishing a new batch of Beast pedals now. I hate how long it takes to build them but I love playing each one.

The 71 version of the Supercollider came about because I wanted to make my ideal muff for guitar. The Supercollider was specifically made for bass and super heavy doom guitar but isn't as well suited to other styles.

After checking out and breadboarding different muff schematics from the amazing kitrae site I settled on one circuit traced from a 1971 muff. I'm pretty sure it came from a triangle muff but is actually closer to one of the more prominent ram's head versions.

Originally this was going to be a 4 knob pedal (standard muff controls plus mids) but it just made sense to add in the Mass control from the SC. Sometime soon I will start building the 71 in an enclosure with different graphics so that its more obvious that it is a different circuit.

Despite being built with guitar in mind the 71 also sounds great with a bass.

11. TheDepths

TheDepths Supporting Member

Hi Mark!
    Welcome to TalkBass,
    Just wanted to say how pleased I am with my Supercollider, had it for a while now and it's simply awesome. Unrelated, but I love having a 'good' serial number....and you sent me number 20! Made me very happy!

Cheers fella!

Tom

12. aetheriac

aetheriac Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner - Sunken Acropolis Audio
    Welcome to talk bass Mark. I've got a Beast and had a Supercollider v3. I did love the LED clipping switch on the SC. I recently ordered the 71 and can't wait to try it on my board.

13. acidage

acidage

Disclosures:
    Thank you! The 71 is shipping out tomorrow morning.

14. aetheriac

aetheriac Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner - Sunken Acropolis Audio
    Got the 71 today and A/B'd with the Beast.

The 71 sounds a bit smoother and more mid forward. Each has a distinctive sound and are definitely on the board!

Thanks Mark, it's a beauty!