Super high ebay shipping

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stinsok, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

I keep seeing this old Martin Stinger bass on ebay. The price caught my attention but the shipping is $80.00 for standard mail, one state away. I contacted the seller with a respectful note telling him that I see he has relisted it multiple times and the problem with the sale isn't the BIN price but the shipping costs. For shipping to my zip it's about 60.00 too high. I also let him know that ebay would gig him for a percentage of those costs as well.

The reply was "it takes a lot of time to pack a guitar properly."
    :meh:

2. GlennW

GlennW

There's no way you can ship a bass for $20 ($80-$60) to your neighbor.

And that EXcludes packing material, time to pack, time and expense to take the thing to the PO.

3. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Not sure of the exact bass you are looking at but there are many things to consider for the seller. I sell a lot of basses on eBay and I proudly up till now enjoy 100% feedback and some of my basses have traveled to different countries.

It takes me time to prep the bass I clean it thoughly and wrap the bass and depending if it’s in a hard case (which makes it much easier) if no case I have to double box it and cut and make supports and protect cavity area where knobs are then supports around that box. Boxes are by no means easy to come by nice clean sturdy newer looking. Bubble wrap and tape cost a lot of money. I can easily use 1 – 2 rolls of tape and a good bit of other packing material this all costs money and it also can take me at least 30 minutes usually more time to get ready. Then I have to weigh, label, measure create a shipping label. Time and money if done well a decent amount of both...

For some reason my basses seem to go from coast to coast and I always declare full value. For example I just shipped a limited Warwick to San Francisco it was 2K it cost me $68 to ship FedEx ground and then everything mentioned above time, packing costs.

If a bass is going to ship and it’s like $18 to ship either the guy is using that as a tactic to look cheap or hasn’t done it before and is going to get hosed and will charge more next time. Or it’s packed poorly and could and most likely gets damaged. You sell anything on ebay and you have a decent listing and buyer uses PayPal the seller looses just about 12% between evil bay fees and PayPal together.

FWIW..

4. Stinsok

I shipped a bass from Alabama to Colorado (14lbs.) for less than $20.00 just this month.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Means2nEnd

Not calling you a liar but was it insured? What carrier did you use? What was the declared value of the bass? Was it in a hard case? Was it 50 or more inches long? Was that charged at the carrier or online pre printed label?

7. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I've shipped 1000's of basses over 10 years VIA every shipper possible. Never ever been down to $20. Especially if insuring it. Plus there's packaging it up and material costs. You need to just look at the total price and evaluate the deal.

8. SlingBass4

SlingBass4 Supporting Member

For the extensive effort and costs involved (remember eBay takes 9% of the shipping, too) - *I* have no problem charging $100. IF someone takes issue......they can take a hike :spit:

9. Means2nEnd

+1

10. Stinsok

USPS, the value was 100.00. It was a box that another bass was shipped in, I don't remember the length- no more than 50''. It was wrapped and packed well. No hard case, that's why it was 14lbs. I used a pre printed label. Packing tape is $1.00 per role at the Dollar General.

I have no reason to lie. I actually refunded the difference from quoted price to actual price once I printed the label. I am fairly certain that would be the case with this seller I was referring to.

If you are buying packing materials and boxes from some store, of course it will cost more. With a small amount of low/no cost leg work shipping doesn't require Vaseline.

11. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

I shipped a bass from KS to CA two months ago for $28 insured using USPS. I re-used the packing supplies from a previous bass purchase add added more bubblewrap around the bass (Probably $1 worth). I can't remember what the weight was, but it was a short scale SX P.

12. Means2nEnd

I suggest if you used a pre printed label in a few weeks if it hits your credit card you check what you actually got charged. UPS and FedEx give you an estimated cost on line. They round everything up and then charge your credit card accordingly.

13. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

A fixed shipping cost of $80 in the CONUS is realistic IME. Just shipped a bass from VA to Washington state and it ran me $69 for the fee alone...that doesn't include the carton, tape, etc. He should have boosted the BIN or reserve price and listed it with "free shipping".

Riis

14. Stinsok

Never had any charges from Paypal for shipping after the fact.

15. Means2nEnd

I'm done here peace....

16. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

When I sell on eBay the cost of packing, etc. is included in the price of the item. Shipping is just shipping. $80 seems high for shipping in the CONUSA.

17. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

$80 is a bit high but from east to west coast in a case It's not too far off. Just talk to the guy and work a deal where you end up paying actual shipping. Communication is key.

18. hsech

hsech Ain't no blues like old blues. Gold Supporting Member

It usually runs me $60-$65 shipping not including packing materials, box, insurance and 40 mile round trip to UPS store. It's slightly less if I use USPS but not by much. I'm rural so choices are limited.

19. GlennW

GlennW

That's in line with my experience, using UPS on about 50 basses and guitars. Used to be cheaper, but they gave themselves a raise a few years ago. I always use UPS because of their tracking ability...the buyer KNOWS when it'll arrive and can make arrangements.

20. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

The added weight of a case along with the accommodating carton dimensions will jack the price, as well.

As mentioned, you pay a premium when using the UPS Store and not the local depot. Convenience = $$.

Riis

21. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Just shipped a jazz bass in a gig bag VIA USPS and the total was $50.05.

By weight it was $32 and change but it was oversized and I added insurance which brought it up to the $50.05 total. That was 2 day priority.

I used a Fender shipping box, the same thing they use to ship basses without cases. It's got a couple of foam inserts to hold the bass in the middle of the box with no rattling around from handling and the box is thick walled enough it would take a LOT of weight to crush it.

Oh and BTW. Due to weather and volume it arrived a day late, but otherwise in the same condition it was when it went in the box.

Last off, rather than pay $80 to ship it from next door, why not buy a tank of gas and go get it? I'm in north Alabama and I'll run to ATL or nashvegas, etc., and it usually costs less than having it packed and shipped, not to mention the chances of shipping damage are all but eliminated. I drove to ATL a few months back and it was a break even thing. The seller gave me enough of a break to cover my gas round trip and I also got me some lottery tickets. :D Didn't win any cash, but I had a nice day trip and a nice bass, so it was still a good day.