Super Long Strings on 34"scale bass! Urgent!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Beethoven, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Beethoven

Beethoven

Hi guys.

Can I put Super Long strings ( D'Addario EXP 170-5SL) on a 34" scale bass (Ibanez SR 305 IPT). I can short them but I'm afraid it will cause bad vibration because of lack thinnest and middle part. Has anyone tried anything like that?
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

You'll be fine. If you see that too much of the thick part of the B string is wrapping around the post, cut it a little shorter.
  3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

I would avoid a super-long string if possible as the full-thickness wrap may reach and wind around the string post. This may put undue stress on the wraps resulting in separation and premature breakage.

Riis
  4. MrTaff

MrTaff

Cutting it shorter wont help if the thick part is starting to wrap around the post, the taper will still be in the same place.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

You're right. I didn't have my coffee yet. It made sense when I was sleepy.
  7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

No, you were partially correct. Snip it off at the ball-end and it will never be a problem again. BAHAHAHHA!

Riis
  8. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

Lol
  9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Right. The playing portion of the string may break if it's wound onto the tuning post. Strings are not designed for it. You may or may not get away with it.
  10. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

I've been getting away with it for years, using regular long scale strings on a short scale Gretsch Broadkaster. Yes, they are a PITA - especially the E string, - and I am very careful when I put them on. And, OTOH, no, it's not a good idea, and I wouldn't do it as a general thing. My Broadkaster's next string change will be to a Medium scale set of the strings I finally decided to keep on the thing (which is the proper length string for a Broadkaster). :)