1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Super low action help!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Lazarevicmass, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Lazarevicmass

Lazarevicmass

Hey everybody! This probably been asked so many times before, but i seem not to find it, sorry! :( i Have a MIA Jazz Bass with Badass bridge II on it, i'm looking to have super low action, as low as i can get, even if i have a little bit of a fret buzz. I worked on the saddles, and on the rod, still not low enough, should i shim the neck? Will it be a better setup for a low action? Should i use playing cards, or a credit card? Thanks for all the input!

Attached Files:

2. sharpbass

sharpbass Supporting Member

Yes shim if your saddles are low and the neck is almost flat, no credit card. I've seen guitar pics, tape, paper, and all kinds of stuff in there. I'd probably use a thin sliver of wood if I could find or make something proper, if not I'd use paper.
  3. Wagz

Wagz

Relief is a key to low action, a little bit of bend in the neck will help ensure you don't buzz when fretting the first 12 frets.
    If you already have a bit of relief in the neck, shimming can work to get you aligned like in #3 in the image you attached. I like to use business cards, I start with a third of a card all the way in the bottom of the pocket, if I need a little more, I put the other 2/3 of the card on top of that. Haven't ever needed to go more than that.
  4. Lazarevicmass

Lazarevicmass

After i shim the neck, how do i set everything else up? Meaning, how do i get to a low action after that? Saddles? Thanks again!
  5. JustForSport

JustForSport

After shimming, re-check relief, then adjust the saddles to set string height.
  6. Lazarevicmass

Lazarevicmass

I just got it all down, i ran into another problem; now the strings are buzzing like a bastard from the 12th fret to the 17th. To raise the saddles to solve the problem, will bring me to the same height i had before i started, the saddles are way too high, and the buzz still there! :(
  7. sharpbass

sharpbass Supporting Member

You should take it to a good tech. You may have a high fret or two. You may just need an expert to take a look. A good setup is not too much money, but well worth it sometimes.
  8. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Ski jump! Fretmill, if there's enough fret height. You need some fallaway there.
  9. Bluedevilxx

Bluedevilxx

Fallaway is a thing of beauty.
  10. Lazarevicmass

Lazarevicmass

Thanks for all the help!
  11. elBandito

elBandito

Fall away in the ski jump area is a must for bolt on fender. Makes a big difference, even if you don't set up with low action.
  12. Rocky McD

Rocky McD Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    If you shim the neck, I think you need to shim the whole pocket and not just the end. The Badass has a very thick bottom plate which raises the strings. If you run out of adjustment, the neck needs to come up, but uniformly not tilted. More relief might help, I would try that first. Loosen the truss rod and give the neck time to respond, maybe 1-2 days with string pressure.
  13. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

I saw somebody suggest you file the saddles on a Badass bridge to lower the action, the other day on here.

If you must shim, try and use a wooden one. I've seen cardboard and sandpaper used as shims, often in budget instruments. These materials can compress over time, so it would be difficult to gauge the usefullness of such shims in the long run. Wood veneer makes for a better shim. It would be interesting to try and quantify the drop in sustain, resulting from the lack of heel-to-pocket contact once a neck is shimmed against the gain in sustain from the BadAss. Reckon you come out even?
  14. Lazarevicmass

Lazarevicmass

Thanks again!
  15. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Just to get you started in the right direction, what is the relief currently set in the neck? Meaning....what is the measurement with a feeler gauge? That's the starting point, before you mess with the saddles, and certainly before you even think about shimming. (Step 1, proper relief. Step 2, saddles.) If you don't get step 1 correct, don't even bother to move on to step 2.

Although some folks will swear that they can just sight down the neck and adjust properly, you really need to measure this properly, or you're just kidding yourself. If you're not sure how to properly set the neck relief first, drop me a line.
  16. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

Those BA saddles won't go as low as a regular Fender bridge..or the bottom plate is higher, not sure which. That leaves you with the neck. If completely straight, you won't have a problem with the BA II, because that extra height will be needed.

I suggest slowly turning the rod until it's 99% straight. Start with the saddles lowered to the bottom, and adjust from there. After you've done all that, try a set of light gauge strings(40's). That might do the trick.
  17. Lownote38

Lownote38

How far did you turn the truss rod????? Go back half the distance you turned it, and you should be right on. (If you turned it). If you didn't turn it, I would maybe tighten it an 1/8 turn.
  18. Lazarevicmass

Lazarevicmass

One more question! On a BadAss bridge, its got two screws for each saddle, when i adjust it, should i move both of them screws every time, or can i move one at a time, leave one a little higher than the other? Once again, i can't say thank you guys enough! ImageUploadedByTalkBass1392078761.839704.jpg
  19. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

I had no idea that iron maiden had their own beer...and that there is a local distributor in my area. Guess I know where I am going on my lunch break tomorrow...Thanks!
  20. Lazarevicmass

Lazarevicmass

Have a beer on me pal! Galloping all the way!!! :)