1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Super Redhead vs Workingpro?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tbasstreble11, Feb 22, 2014.

1. tbasstreble11

tbasstreble11

I'm looking for a combo that will be relegated to practice and small gigs when I get a stack down the track. I stumbled across a SWR Super Redhead 210 (350w) and a SWR Workingpro 115 (200w) at cost. The Redhead was used for a couple of shows but is pristeen, the Workingpro is brand new.

The Workingpro is 2/3 the price of the Redhead, and I like the tone better on it. As much as I want to play (roots/jazz) originals, I have been brushing up on covers to get back in the game and feel like for that reason the extra juice of the redhead will be important. Any thoughts?
  2. chadds

chadds

Too easy, go Redhead!

SWR's professional gear is outstanding, reliable etc.
    Working pro is budget. Stamped speaker frames instead of cast, etc.
  3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

Some of the parts (wood case, speakers maybe) may be budget but IME the amp chassis and electronics are just as good with the same high quality components as the "pro" SWR stuff. At least the SWR gear I owned or used that friends owned.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd go with the Redhead, but if you like the sound of the WorkingPro better, you should go with that.
  5. tbasstreble11

tbasstreble11

Thanks guys. The Redhead has a really good reputation from what i can gather.

Hey Munjibunga, question - not sure if it's because of the 15, but I liked the warmth and the bass intensifier on the Workingpro - any tips on dialling in something warmer with a fuller bottom end on the redhead?
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, there'll be those who'll tell you that driver size doesn't make a difference, but to my ear most 15s are richer in the lower mids than most 10s, giving them what one might call a "warmer" tone. I like what I perceive to be the tighter, crisper high mids and highs of the tens, along with their punchier bottom end, hence, my preference for the Redhead. The Workingpro amps are quality kit even though they are marketed as SWR's "budget" line. It gets down to what you want to hear.

You could try to boost the mids and a little bass on the Redhead and leave the Enhance dial all the way down to warm it up. If you turn up the enhance, it will boost the lows and highs, but rob you of the pitch-defining mids. You really need to spend a little time turning knobs to see if you can find your tone in there.
  7. tbasstreble11

tbasstreble11

Thanks for the advice, I went and had another test of the two amps and I dialled the enhance as you suggested - a little extra bass and mid levels and I found a great full, round shape to the lower end to go with the punchiness. As far as I could tell, the redhead had more tonal variety than the working pro, and I found some tones I liked. The things that got me were - the noisiness of the fan, but more so, all the excess noise the redhead clanked out unless I rolled the treble right down at the expense of definition of the highs. Every string scrape and clatter on the pickups came out as loud as the note. I'm not blaming the redhead - rather I feel there's something to be learned about my technique there. I'm on a Fender Jazz for the first time and the Corts I've had in the past had noiseless pickups on them and I'd never had to refine my playing. On that note, I've decided to go with the working pro because for whatever reason, those clanks and clacks weren't coming through. In the meantime should I work on playing more gently? Any other advice?
  8. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I'd go with the Redhead. Never been impressed by the Working Pro heads. I like the WM 1x15 cab though, I think it's a good value at used price. It's probably one of my fav SWR cabs since it actually has some low mids (compared to the Goliath series).
  9. Bingo

Bingo

I had a SuperRedHead that was bullet proof. The only thing to note is that if you drive it hard, it will get hot on top. Don't set your cold drink on top of it. It won't be cold long.
  10. Bufalo

Bufalo Funk in the Trunk Supporting Member

I find that I run the tweeter on my Super Redhead at like 80% OFF to avoid clanks and scrapes and string noises. The attenuator knob is on the back and is easily missed if you're just trying things out in the store. It's still my favorite combo, heck my favorite amp, ever.
  11. nysbob

nysbob

It looks like you didn't find / know about that horn attenuator...

The redhead is one of very few SS amps I like, but the horn is obnoxious unless dialed wayyy back....or off.
  12. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

I had a Redhead combo and I couldn't use it with a 5 string. It farted out all the time. Even with a 4 string at times. I love(d) SWR and played it for a long time, but I had better luck with the 350 and 750 heads and a 2 or 410 cab.
  13. tbasstreble11

tbasstreble11

Aha! That would be it - I forgot to even look for a tweeter adjustment - I'll give it another go. Obnoxious is the very word for it, I'll turn it right off and try again, thanks for that. Btw, what do you mean SS?
  14. tbasstreble11

tbasstreble11

Right you are, thanks! Btw can you turn the fan off at low volumes? Being realistic about the size gigs I'll be able to do for a while made me think the quiet WP may be a better option... Any thoughts?
  15. tbasstreble11

tbasstreble11

Thanks Steve, the particular amps I'm looking at are the cheapest chance I've found to get some quality amplification, and I'm sort of stretching to do it. To go separate head/cab for the price I'll be looking at budget gear, unless I stumble onto the right used parts.