Super thin pickups for a new project...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by reverendrally, Aug 20, 2013.

1. reverendrally

reverendrally

Hi all, with all the clever folks on this forum, I thought it might be the right place to ask about this.

Basically, I'm looking for some super thing pickups like these...
    http://www.lacemusic.com/news_articles.php?articleID=233

Only of course I want it for a 6 string (fretless) don't I. I'd talk to Lace only they're only available for 5 strings. Any thoughts about who to talk to or possible issues with something this thin.

My reason for wanting something so thin is a structural thing. Basically, the thinner I can get the pickup, the less timber I need to mess around with and the more structural the neck/joint will be.
  2. ddhm

ddhm

Boy, if you find that for a 6, let me know. I've always disliked taking big chunks out of a neck thru to put in pick ups.
  3. dkelley

dkelley

I've looked into those pups too... darn pricey but the only option I'm aware of.

There is also a guitar version that isn't as big. I'd almost recommend two guitar versions (I know, we're getting into hundreds of dollars now) setup like a fender precision bass split pickup.

Remember the fender bass pickup design was 2 mandolin pickups used together.... yet happens to be one of the most brilliant pickup designs in history.

Maybe worth a shot
  4. Jensby design

Jensby design

Wind your own:eyebrow:
    Get someone to make one for you.If you're willing to pay the price they're asking you have a lot of options.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Lace sensors work a little differently than regular pickups. I doubt one would just be able to wind a set like that.
  7. M0ses

M0ses

True, but the reason he chose the LACE is for it's physical dimensions, not it's particular electronic properties.
  8. M0ses

M0ses

The reason he chose the LACE is for it's physical dimensions, not it's particular electronic properties.
  9. Jensby design

Jensby design

:eyebrow:how so:confused:
  10. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

I'm intrigued by the USAB as well.

Even though it says "4 or 5 string", it might work just fine for a (close-spaced) 6. My lazy Google skills didn't turn up any dimensions for it, but if I were you I would contact Lace and ask how wide the string sensing aperture is.
  11. Hopkins

They have no magnetic pull, and are not a regular coil. I honestly have no clue how they work.
  12. Hopkins

Right, but I don't know if you could get enough winds around a coil that thin.
  13. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

14. Jensby design

Jensby design

44 awg ;)
  15. Jensby design

Jensby design

Googled lace sensor:
    "the coil is surrounded by metal barriers which are designed to reduce electro-magnetic interference such as power line hum. According to the manufacturer, these barriers also help concentrate the magnetic field, allowing weaker magnets to be used, which results in less string pull. Less string pull, in turn, means truer pitch and intonation, and superior sustain."
    ,Wikipedia.

bassbenj

I have been VERY interested in those thin pickups as well to add a magnetic to my Carvin semi-hollow acoustic and my Chinese 6 string fretless.

But for some reason the folks at Lace seem to think that anyone buying a pickup really doesn't care what size they are or what string width they cover. I was on their case right here in this forum a while back and the Lace rep told us all he was going to get that information into the website. Last I checked it's still not there. Hey just buy a bunch without asking questions and if they don't work buy some other models. They sell lots of different models. No problem...
    petrus61 likes this.
  17. SidMau

SidMau

Get the pickup and just modify the bass to have what some might deem "narrow" string spacing :bag:
  18. lowerthetone

lowerthetone

19. lex_lacemusic

lex_lacemusic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Production Manager: Lace Music
    Thought id chime in regarding the Ultra Slim Bass Pickup, the string spacing as about 2 and a quarter, so if you had a decently tight bridge, this would work just fine for you.

Also, Bassbenj, i apologize for not getting the website updated. We have been doing alot of change here at the shop and the company who was supposed to be redesigning and updating our website fell through, so we're trying to get all that taken care of as soon as possible. Sorry for the inconvenience cause personally, i know we should have much more information on our site.
  20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    They're for acoustic/electric basses. Is that what you're building?
  21. willburgess

willburgess

Ok I'm relatively new here, but I am a luthier and I make my own pickups. I am going to attempt a slim pickup. I am going for the 1/4 measurement. If I succeed there will not need to be any routing for pickup installation and any string configuration will be possible. Let me know what you think.